Advice- I am about to have baby number 2- what do I need to know?

So I have a 3.5 year old and I am due in a few more weeks with baby #2. I am totally freaking out and not feeling prepared. This is not a shopping issue- it is a mental one :) What do I need to do to prepare for 2 kiddos?! My son will be in preschool 3 days a week, but how do I get both kids on the same nap schedule? How do I get a baby on a schedule- what if I forget something? How do parents of two do it? What was I THINKING having another one?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Don't worry you'll do fine. If hes in preschool 3 days a week it'll be easier to get the baby on a schedule. Its all just a matter of making some adjustments to your day. Im not sure about getting them on a nap schedule because my oldest never napped. Just take things as they come and everything will be okay. Remember YOU are doing the best you can and do let anyone tell you otherwise. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• I just think it is important to remember it will take you twice as long to do anything, so that you can adjust your schedule and be prepared. It takes twice as long to give baths, twice as long to get teeth brushed, and twice as long to get out the door in the morning (a BIG problem for me)!

Babies adjust well to your schedule. Ask your 3 1/2 year old's teachers what time he naps, so that you can put your baby down at the same time, so that when they are both home they will be on the same schedule. And, we were out of town this weekend and forgot a few things (we always do), so make sure you have a little cash or some money in your debit account in case you need something.
    MontessoriMo226

Answer by MontessoriMo226 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Mom, I dont know what to tell you except that it just comes naturally. Some how it all works itself out and you do it. Once you have two the little one seems to adapt easily to a on the go schedule...lol.

So dont worry, moms do it with 2 babies (or more) all the time, you are no different! Good Luck ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• i want to know how you get a 3.5 yr old to nap??? i wish mine would.
    as for your question you'll be fine you and your kids will find a system that works for you all. my kids at 18 months apart so i was a little worried also but once the baby was born everything just kinda fell into place! congrats!
    06-07mom

Answer by 06-07mom at 5:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It will all work out. I actually have my kids on different nap schedules right now. 9mo sleeps 10-11:30, 3yr old goes down at 12-2, then 9mo old goes down from 2-4. It works good for right now since he needs two naps a day and dealing with one kid at a time is a lot easier than two! LOL

But yes, it does take forever to go anywhere. The thing I miss the most is just getting DD dressed and heading out the door. Now you got a baby to get ready too.. you get use to the easiness of a toddler!

Things just seem to work out, it does seem overwhelming when you're still pregnant and have no idea how things will work out, but they do.

Right now my 3yr old is watching tv while the baby is on the floor playing with a pop up toy.. and I still have time for Cafemom ;)
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 6:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Keep a journal and a put up one of those big calendars or a write/ erase boards in a place where the older child can't change it. It will help you remember stuff and keep organized. I stopped doing that after my first and have started it up again. Good luck and congratulations!
    saltycoqui

Answer by saltycoqui at 7:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It'll get better :)

Its tough at first, although mine were only 17 months apart.................but now its awesome!!!
    CrazedMomof2

Answer by CrazedMomof2 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• You are a mom. You manage. That's just how things are. The first few weeks will be rough, but you will get it all worked out. Trust me.

I had baby #2 when #1 was on 16 months old. They rarely napped at the same time. But #2 traveled well. Once the baby is here, you will get it all figured out.
    Anonymous

• I'm wondering the same thing! My little boy will be 3 1/2 when baby number 2 gets here in January, I have felt guilty at times,, like i won't have enough time for him when new baby arrives, and i wonder how i will mange taking care of two and a house! good luck to us both!! congrats on new baby too!
    momma2hunter

Answer by momma2hunter at 8:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• The first thing you should know is that you can't schedule a baby! Particularly a bf one.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2009