advice on discipline

my daughter just turned a year old. i will not spank...the only time i did (was on her leg) was when we were in the store and she literally kept standing up EVERY single time i put her down and said "no" or "we dont stand in carts..sit down." anyways...i dont think she would have the slightest clue of what i was doing if i put her in time out and i really really dont want to spank my kids. So....what do i do when she misbehaves? any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not sure what you quite meant about standing the cart - I do know that they should be in the little seat at ALL times. My best friend's daughter had a blood clot in her brain and had to have surgery for standing in the basket and toppling off. I wouldn't wish that on ANY child! :[[[
    But usually, I smack his hand - if he constantly reaches for something, and tell him a firm NO. He pretty much understands by the tone of voice, and I guarantee your daughter will as well!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Take one of her beloved toys away. If its a toy she doesnt much care for she wont care if its gone. But NEVER EVER back down on something you say. If you say "the next time you throw that you're going to bed" and she does it again and you just ignore it. She will know how to manipulate you!
    Anonymous

• I ALWAYS do a stern "NO" and smack her hand. She ignores it! She's a little daredevil...
    Anonymous

• I started time outs with my son about that age and it has been very effective. Just one minute.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Putting her in time out will work at her age. Be consistent with it and she will understand.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Time out would be fine but you have to stick with it even when you are out places. Consistency is the key with any discipline choices. Like the above poster said 1 min per year of age. You may have to use a play pen or high chair at first and then when she gets older move her 'time out' to a step, her room or a rug or something. If you are out somewhere and she needs a time out find a quiet hall way or just turn your back on her in the cart (buckled in of course) Also I find it easiest to use a kitchen timer. That way i don't loose track of time plus my kids know that when it goes off they are free to go.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• time outs arent really effective until your child is about three until then positive redirection will go along way as well as consequences. Like someone else mentioned early bedtime or no more cartoons etc. When my mom took us grocery shopping we always got a candy bar and wehn we were naughty we didnt get one and my mom would buy one for herself and eat it slowly in fron of us. We were only naughty twice LOL
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2009