Where do I begin to search for my biological mother and father?

I was adoptated at birth. Actually my adopation was planned before I was even born. All I have to go on is the facts of the city and state and possiable the hosiptal. I do know the doctor that was over my birth but he has since died. The hard part of this is the fact that my adopative parents were killed when I was 13 years old and any other family members really dont have any information. I am now 37. I have had a few health issues arise that I really need to know my background history on. Also I would like to know my biological background for my son. I am hoping that I could recieve some insight on not just finding them but also advice from ones that have found their biological parents and the outcome.

alilcoy

Asked by alilcoy at 5:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Adoption

• Alright I am not adopted but am really good at reasearch. 1st thing is you should be able to get a list of all births on the day you were born as well all woman patients giving birth. Compare them. 1 should be a little out of place. That is the hard part. After you do that look up the name and the rest is up to you. If you need any help pm me. Good luck I hope you find what you are looking for.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• There is a great group here for searching.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/35065

I would bet they will be able to help you get started.

Good luck!
    bellacocco

Answer by bellacocco at 5:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• You really need to find out what agency fascillitated your adoption. You say your relatives don't know much, but are there any documents anywhere? If you can find the agency you can apply for your "non identifying information". Then you can go from there, but that's where you start.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Unless of course you are lucky enough to have been born in Alaska, Oregon, Kansas, Alabama, New Hampshire or Maine, in which case you can get a copy of your original birth certificate that will have the names of your birth parents on it.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Actually with the new laws on medical confidentiality you cannot get lists of all women who gave birth on a particular day. And as an adoptee searching (like you) I've come to understand that the liklihood of someone putting a birth notice in a local paper for an infant that is a planned adoption is slim to none.

Onethentwins has really good search information. I was able to request my non-id information from the state and while the form had a spot for my adoption agency I bet almost anything that they would have processed it even if I didn't have that information. As long as you have your adoptive parents information and your date of birth you should be able to have the state release non-id information to you from your sealed file.

What state was the adoption done in? I'd be more than happy to share what I have found in my search (although the laws vary from state to state).
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I have collected a wealth of search information from various states. Feel free to PM me with your state/hospital information and I'll see if I can give you some info on your access to your original records and your hospital birth records.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Everyone above are putting you on the right track. I'm in the process of helping a friend locate their birth parents. When I wrote a letter to the States Department of Childrens and Families. All I had to ask for was for the non-identifying information. In that letter make sure you add a copy of your adoption birth cert., copy of your licence, and SS #. Also I included any information I did have. Sure enough in 3 wks we had our information. Also we located the town Newspaper where he was born and they did a little story in their paper with the information we had for free. We are still working on it, but have a lot of new leads. There's also a bunch of places on the net that will allow you to enter your info for free on some of the adoption sites. I hope this helps.
    sistersun

Answer by sistersun at 10:11 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I don't have any information that will help, but I want to wish you the best of luck. I helped my husband find his younger sister. We knew the name of the agency, so it was easy. I know that many adoptive parents save all of the correspondence between themselves and their agency. That may not turn up anything for you, though, because it's been so many years since your parents died that you'd think the paperwork would have turned up by now. Do any other living family members know that you are searching? Maybe somebody has some paperwork that would help, and they never thought to say anything about it. I'm sorry you're dealing with health issues. Even if you weren't, I think I understand (secondhand) your desire to find your birthparents. Best wishes!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:47 AM on Jul. 18, 2009