Should I see my family?

I went back to see my family in my home state back in November- I hadn''t been back in years so I stayed for about 5 weeks. After about 4 weeks we were playing a card game and long story short, my sister got angry when I wouldn't do something she wanted. Rather than go and calm down like I told her she should, she pounded me with her fists.
I was injured in a way that took months to recover- it wasn't easy. I'm just now getting my strength back in time for my reunion.
After the assult my parents didn't want me to get medical attention and my mother made it clear if I did I was to say that I fell into a chair- that I could just go back to my life and it would all be over. that I didn't need to ruin my sisters life over this. Mind you, I didn't fight back at all, and both my parents and brother witnessed it all. My large brother got my sister off of me, while she sobbed at how horrible I was.
continued........

LadyAronna

Asked by LadyAronna at 5:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• Does she have a mental problems??
    Anonymous

• Now that I feel strong enough I intend to go to my reunion which is in about 3 weeks. I'm still having issues with post traumatic stress to say the least. When questioned by the police my father lied and said as far as he knew nothing happened, and the family was doing all they could to be hospitable to me. My mother lied about the situation too. Note, this is not unusual behavior for my sister.She is in a relationship with a woman J.J is jumpy around my sister and a while back when I tried to speak to Jon the phone I was told that my sister did all the talking on the phone.
    My sister has hit in reaction to things all her life.particularly when she was jealous.
    So, my question is this- I would like to do something maybe with my brother when I go back, and out of duty thought I could have lunch with my parents in a public place with someone with me. Everyone says no, just take this trip for you, don't see them.
    Any thoughts?
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 5:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I would have called the cops on her no matter what your parents said. Obviously they dont care about your feelings, only your sisters so why care about theirs?
    I would say forget about seeing them
    Anonymous

• I think she does, and one reason why I reported it was that I thought that maybe she'd be forced into anger management classes or the like. As far as I know, it's not happening. I IM my mother occasionally now, and she won't address the issue. I was told when it happened that it was my fault for not doing as she wished.
    I feel like since I'll be there I should see them briefly (not my sister), but I admit it goes against anything I would tell anyone else. I would like to know what people think.
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 5:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I think you should see them. They are your parents and need to know how much this hurt you.
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 5:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I wouldnt see them. Just the fact they asked you not to seek medical help when they knew you needed it was bad enough but saying it was your fault! ugh
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 5:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• "I think you should see them. They are your parents and need to know how much this hurt you. "
    I do IM my mother occasionally and I've tried to talk to her about it, but I get the same reaction as I have my whole life. This time she's just refusing to address it. In the past, she's told me that I was remembering wrong, or that it would be best if I just got over being hurt. That any reasonable person would just realize that it was more important to concentrate on all the good things the person did.
    This time she can't just ignore or deny that it happened since there is a police report and pictures of my bruises.
    I wish it could be a case of discussing it with them and discuss the help that I think my sister needs. But so far they won't talk about it via IM and I have no reason to believe they will discuss it now since they never have before.
    Please continue to comment- I appreciate it.
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 5:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• "I wouldnt see them. Just the fact they asked you not to seek medical help when they knew you needed it was bad enough but saying it was your fault! ugh"
    thank you- for what it's worth I do think they believed that it wasn't that bad, but I knew it was.
    These are people who have been rationalizing this behavior my whole life. They can't see the forest for the trees.
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 5:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• something like that happened to me but my sister is mental for real, and guess what? I went to jail! she tried to take a broken dish to my throat, anyway dont go find something better to do like make your own reunion without them.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 6:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• why would you invade their home for five weeks? That's just pushing them past limits, obviously. VISITS are about a week or two not a month.
    Anonymous