Teething????????????

My son is 10.5 months and getting his first tooth. His gum is rough and i can see it separating for his tooth to come in. My question is, is it normal for babys to have a decreased appitite during teething. He doesn't want to eat anything.

vgiron

Asked by vgiron at 5:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son always did - their gums are sore to the touch - just do lots of fluids right now. and the pain can sometimes lead them to not want formula/liquid either. its ok.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My son did
    He was so fussy with it
    My husbnad did his mom said he threw up the whole time
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My daughter didn't want to eat anything because her gums hurt so bad. She did love popsicles though. Soothed her gums and kept her hydrated.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 5:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Yes. consider that they are generally in pain, their gums hurt so sucking on a bottle or eating food can add to the pain. THey are cranky so usually just want to be held. They are probably scared too because they hurt but don't know why or what's causing it. Also, they usually have lots of saliva which can be swallowed and fill their tummies too (why they often get diahrra, I think).

But, yes, completely normal.
    Anonymous

• you can try offering some cold smushy foods or a frooze go-gert (if he's old enough). sometimes the cold will help the gums feel better. Sometimes, it just make baby mad.
    Anonymous

• OP- just to add he's not fussy or acting like his in pain, he is happy and playing. He'll take his bottle, but since he isn't on breastmilk or formula because he refuses it, his only option for nutrients is normal food. He does love popsicles, and he isn't drooling. I am giving him soft things like bean, which he normal loves or mashed potateos, but he just doesn't seem to want to eat.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 5:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2009