Since when has parenting become a competitive sport?

Holy cow ladies! No drinking at a bday party or you are horrible, if you don't BF why did you have kids in the first place and don't even think about serving your kiddo mac and cheese! Is EVERY decision that vital? Pick your 3 Musts (or must nots) and lets see how really similar we are!

wildboyz1994

Asked by wildboyz1994 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If you want an honest answer... my best guess is that the competition started when Dr. Spock wrote his book and convinced moms that there was a "right" way to parent. Before that, most parents figured everyone was doing the best she could to raise her kids her way. Then suddenly there was a "right" way. Now there are hundreds of "right" ways - and every mom is worried that her way is wrong.

I agree, there are very few basics.
    Love, Food, Education, and I'd add Discipline though you could argue that it's part of education... learning to control yourself is as important as learning your ABCs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Musts:

Love (even if you grow up and are gay!)
    Education (public)
    Food (table, pre-packaged, fast food- I am good!)

Other than that, I go with what works at the time!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Musts:
    Love and Kisses EVERYDAY
    Good role modles
    and most important!!!
    Feeding my children at a highchair, or table and NEVER proping bottles!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 5:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Ok, this sounds fun. #1 MUST provide adequate food, shelter, and love (Notice the word ADEQUATE). #2 Must provide education (this includes basic school needs along with teaching manners, ethics, and basic life lessons. #3 MUST NOT ABUSE your child. I know, that can mean a lot of things, but with having to drawl a line, I would say no verbal abuse (Ie "you're such an idiot, I never should have had you"), no physical abuse (that means unwarnted phsycal contact ie I'm pissed so i'm taking it out on you), and no ignoring basic needs as in #1 and #2.

How's that?
    Anonymous

• Good one Anon- I agree with those too!!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 5:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It's not a competitive sport. At least not to me. What you're describing isn't competition. It's concerned moms telling other moms what isn't good to do. But nowadays, no one ca take that without yelling "She's bashing me!" Vital things and musts are not all that matter to some of us. Some people like to do their best all around. Some people appreciate the help they get from little answers. But there's always someone who has to say "I don't care. Why should you? You're not perfect." It doesn't take a perfect person to notice imperfections. There is far more to raising a child than the basics, so everyone should care. I truly hate when people (especially moms) say "As long as the kid isn't starved or beaten, who cares what other parents do?" Such apathy and heartlessness.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 6:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• 1. must have unconditional love
    2. must have security
    3. must have discipline
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 6:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• There is no such thing as a perfect person, including a perfect parent. There is such thing as a perfect parent for that child, many do not understand nor respect this and instead consider their way is the only way things should be, wrong way to think I agree but there ya' have it. I could care less if somebody breastfeeds/formula feeds, has drinks at kid’s parties, or circumcises their kid or not, it all to me boils down to what that parent chooses and none of it infringes on what a child "must needs”.

Must:
    1.) Meet children’s needs; food, water, clothes, roof over head and unconditionally love them<--need
    2.) Teach children any and all you can; learn right and wrong and help or totally educate them through school

Do Not:
    1.) Do not Abuse or Neglect (most view one and same, also includes verbal and physical)
    2.) Do not exclude one of the items listed on the "Must" list
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 7:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2009