New min wage next week

Next week, everyone working fast food, retail, housekeeping, etc who makes less than $7.25/hr will get a raise. Unless they're some of the ones who get fired. And some of them will get their hours cut to make up for the increase. People who make $7.30, or $8 or $9 will not get a raise, but they are just as likely to be fired or have their hours cut because they have coworkers who are below the new minimum.
Is the cost of the new/increased PA benefits that will have to be extended to these people be more or less than the wage increase? And how many will quit because the increase will put them just over the line to no longer qualify for benefits or reduce their fs enough it won't stretch far enough anymore?
This is not a PA/FS debate - people with jobs use it, deal with it. Only now they'll have to use it more.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I was still managing my restaurant when the first minimum wage shift happened. It was a horrible day.

It was my first day back from vacay, only to find that my lazy jackass boss hadn't readjusted the budget. As I plugged in the new numbers, I remember getting physically ill.

Our labor percent for the week was 15.8. It didn't magically change because the wage went up. I walked out of the office and asked who wanted to leave.

I then spent the rest of the day cooking and prepping ingredients, because if I wanted to keep my job, I had to keep my budget.

Why don't people understand, budgets don't get bigger because costs go up?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• The cost of everything will increase within a year to adust for the increased spending power. It won't matter for long - except to those who lose their jobs or have their hours cut as you point out. And to those on fixed incomes who will be paying more for everything within the year.

I don't know what the answer is, if there is one. But minimum wage doesn't work. I've been there. It is so frustrating to work hard for a raise or promotion, get it, and suddenly have everyone who slacked off and didn't care making the same amount as you. What's the point of trying if you are in a minimum wage job? That was one of the driving reasons behind going to college for me. Getting OUT of the minimum wage job category.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• That is not true for everyone. Not ALL people abuse the system. My mother works at Papa Gino's as a manager. She makes like $10 an hour. Her husband is curently out of work. On average she brings home 1000 bucks a month. Her rent is $800.00/month. Walfare offered her $10 in fs a month. You think that is fair??!! She works her a$$ off. Its just not enough to support herself. She has to go to food banks to survive. You think thats fine though don't you??!! Well you can kiss my a$$!!!! you shoudn't make people feel ashamed for asking for help when they need it. Its people like you that make struggling families , in this hard time, embarrassed to ask for the help they deserve and need. Mind your business, and don't even say paying taxes makes it your business, because if it your taxes didn't go into PA, then they would still be taken from you for something else!!!
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• lluvmygirlies, who said anything about abusing the system? The OP said some people who work are still able to collect FS/PA.  Some are eligible, that's true.  She didn't say they abused the system. Your mom is one of those who is working but makes just a little too much to qualify for full benefits.  That's a shame, considering her situation.

I'm truly sorry for your mom and hope her hubby finds work soon.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

You need to learn to read - and find a good therapist.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• *** " people with jobs use it, deal with it. Only now they'll have to use it more." *** .

.....by saying USE IT, that implied to me abusing it, i am sorry if i took it the wrong way....if thats not what you meant then i wish you wrote " need It".....if the question doesn't mean what i thought it meant, then  I apologize.

Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• wow your rude...huh?
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• wow your rude...huh?

I'm not the one telling people to kiss my ass, now am I?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• What few ground floor jobs there were will be on the cutting block now.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• You are exactly right about those that will get a raise in fast food will see their hours cut. This is what we are doing at the one I manage. People assume because they are getting a raise they will have more money, not true. Inflation will follow.
    Anonymous