I offended and angered another mom when she heard from another mom what I said about her daughter during a conversation. I only discovered this must have happended when the first mom wouldn't respond to my calls and emails. I now want to apologize. I thought I would write a letter, with an offer to apologize in person if she would see me. Any advice?

I really like this mom and her daughter was very helpful in getting my daughter through kindergarten. However, our girls were not put in the same 1st grade. I had a conversation with another mom where I place the reason on the different teachers onto the other girl. I never thought what I said would be shared and I am very regretful. My daughter loves this friend's daughter and misses her as a playmate. I miss having her as a friend, too. Although I haven't any confirmation the information was shared, I have a gut feeling it must have been because why would she just ignore my calls, emails, and even me at our girls' daisy meeting? I am trying to find a way to make amends and sincerely apologize. I never wanted to hurt her or our relationship and what I said was insensitive and inappropriate. I'm looking for ideas to help me reach out to her and maybe repair our friendship, even if it's just so we can say hi.

kpe525

Asked by kpe525 at 6:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• The only thing you can do is be completely honest. Tell her that you regret stating that, and it was never meant to offend. Just a foot-in-mouth comment that you never truly thought over if it might be damaging or not.
    She's human too, chance is, she's had this moment before.
    Apologize - and mean it! :] That's all you can do.
    I hope it all patches over, good luck! I'm sure it will, however. *hugs*
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• This is precisely why I have a rule not to say anything about anyone I haven't already said to their face. You can't trust anyone so don't tell secrets.
    Anonymous

• this happened to me only i didnt say anything behind her back we just got in a fight.so i wrote her a email that was misunderstood .the day before she left for vacation she told me to take a hike.she will be gone all summer/i feel bad but i also think she is one of those people who says things and doesnt realize it.well she blew alot of people off before she left.when she does i will try once.and some advice(i did the same thing)never say anything to anyone who works at a school a teacher or counselor.cause yes i said things to the school counselor and it went right back to the teacher and parent?
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• could I ask what you specifically said? feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it.
    Either way, I'd write the letter if you want to apologize. She may not response right away, she may just need some time to cool off.
    LadyAronna

Answer by LadyAronna at 8:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Growing up was always tough for me...you never could say how you felt if something bothered you or if you were angry...so I learned to keep it all in and not tell no one nothing...that is NOT the best way at all. But I have tried to trust certain people with things only to find out they will tell in a heartbeat. I only know that if you have a problem or if something is bothering you talk directly (calmly) to the one you are bothered by. It cuts all the problems from other people and it gets delt with usually without complications. And then everything is ok or at least out in the open waiting to be resolved. Best wishes
    vidamc2

Answer by vidamc2 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2009