Can I name my baby boy a name that the dad does not?

Me and the father are not truly together, we have been seeing each other for almost two years but he does not want to be with me. I love him though and we still hang out and go out when we can. I am expecting a boy in november and have been thinking really hard about a million of names and finally one just popped out at me more then the rest and everyone loves it, but him. He has only given me one suggestion name and the name was outrageous! He likes the name Aidas!! But Isaid no to that. Do I have the right as the mother of this child to name it Wyatt if he does not think that he likes the name.

Shany_leigh

Asked by Shany_leigh at 6:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would name he what ever you want if you to are not married than the nurse or who ever takes the name should ask you but good luck Wyatt is a pretty name i have a very young cousin named wyatt its not that common or popular
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• its ur baby u can name it w.e u want an unless u 2 are married his name wont be on birth certificate at the hospital they wont allow it (michigan) he has to go to court house an u both have to sign it stating he is the father or it wont go on
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Yes you could name you son whatever you like and the father doesn't have to agree with it.
    Dylansmom32509

Answer by Dylansmom32509 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I suppose it is going to depend on the nature of your relationship with the father. Is he going to be coming to the hospital with you during labor? Since you are going to be the one one filling out the paperwork, I would go ahead with the name that you like. Just understand that you doing that could worsen the relationship that you guys have as friends. It might be in the best interest of everyone for you both to sit down and decide on a name mutually. I think your ability to decide on a name you both like is going to be a good indicator on how you both are going to handle being single parents. It might be a good time to develop a good working relationship that is going to benefit your LO later on down the line. Good Luck!
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 6:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• if your not together, than you should pick the name. I was CLOSE to making that mistake, don't do it, Wyatt is a beautiful name, infact its my nephews name.
    You will regreat it if you pick a name he suggests because you "love" him, and he isnt around in the end.
    My kids father did the same shit, gave me like 2 names, I HATED, he HATED all the millions of mine that I picked.
    We were together off and on for two years, I "loved" him, but when I got pregnant, he left. and ISNT coming back.
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 6:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Name him what you want!

My son is going to be named Jacob (after my husband) and Wyatt cause its a badass name! But we're calling him Wyatt!
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 6:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Wyatt is a really nice name. I was in the same sittuation with my son his dad who is not in our lifes wanted me to name him fox, I named him izaiah. Its your choice, your the one who is carrying him and going to be the one giving birth.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 6:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• well, sounds like you're not together, so he may not be around forever, but your lil boy will....so i would say name him what you want!! surely he'll get over it

pandorya

Answer by pandorya at 7:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• first name the one you want middle name aidas....you both have a say
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Yep. Go for it.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 9:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2009