Do all children go through this?

My 2.5 year old, turning 3 in October, screams at the top of her lungs when she's really pissed. She doesn't always do it, maybe 2-3 times a week at most, but it's bad when she does. She will not stop until she wants to, even if I put her in time out. I'm worried about what the neighbors think.. lol. I know she has already entered the "try-some threes". Just wondering if anyone else's kid went through this?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter, who will be three in September, is going through the EXACT same thing right now. When she doesn't get what she wants, she shrieks, screams, cries, kicks, you name it, she brings it to the table. I also worry about what the neighbors might think, but I can't give in to her. The last episode was over something so stupid and insignificant, I can't even remember, but I feel like if I give in to the behavior just to shut her up, she'll learn that it works and do it more often. So I put her in her bed and let her scream. It took a solid ten minutes, but eventually she gave up and apologized. I use a couple of catch phrases with her, One - "Crying doesn't get you what you want." or "Crying doesn't work." to try and reinforce the point. Isn't this age fun! Hope yours learns soon, mine too! :)
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• mine does it but he does it more often than that. lol
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• omg! i have the same problem... Im so scared the neighbors are going to call the cops the way my son screams when he doesnt get his way! I feel for you cuz im going threw the same problem
    beautiful2257

Answer by beautiful2257 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Nope because I put a stop to it when they first started.
    Anonymous

• LMAO, that sounds like my daughter she turned 2 the beginning of June. I know that when she hears something she doesn't like or her big brother does something she doesn't like she lets us know it by screaming so loud I think my mother can hear it (and she lives 5 minutes down the road) Don't worry I think they grow out of it, just let her know that it's not okay to scream like that and you won't listen to her scream, put her in another room and tell her you will be back when she's done.
    KatrinaBSmith

Answer by KatrinaBSmith at 9:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2009