Baby found dead from rat bites

http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl071609tprat.485067cf.html

Did they NOT hear the baby cry? Surely the baby would have had to cry. How is that possible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i dont think there is anything wrong with cio, as long as you check on your baby, and know that there is absolutely no other problems with the baby. It worked well for my DD, but i made sure she was old enough that she was capable to self sooth and i knew which each of her cries meant, so i knew if she was in pain and such. CIO could be very hazardous, and doesnt work for all children, but it does work for some if done properly. I wouldn't go any longer than 20 minutes without checking on my child, and even that seemed too long for me. About this article, its horrible, but things happen, mistakes are made. Now I'm going to have nightmares about rats eating my daughter while she sleeps.
    Ginanne

Answer by Ginanne at 11:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I am sure this will be Bush's fault.
    Anonymous

• Truthfully, I think the rat had been attracted to the milk on the baby's breath. The rat could have EASILLY covered the baby's mouth while it chewed on her nose, keeping her voice muffled. Or, sadly, the baby could have very well passed from SIDS and the rat just happened to get in there. Who really knows. Honestly, I think we should see what happens as the story develops. Either way, until it is PROVEN the parents are at fault, I'm just going to sit back and wait.

Also, rats can get into ANY hole, even holes the size of a quarter. They can chew through iron piping, wood, and other hard surfaces if they are trying to get to food. Plus, there have been cases where rats have been within a residence for a long period and there was no visible evidence showing their inhabitants.
    Anonymous

• One more reason I'll never just let a baby "cry it out" without checking on them. A girl I know let her baby "cry it out" for 2 hours.. when she finally checked her the baby had her leg wedged in between the rails and twisted backwards, and who knows how long she was laying like that. I don't think there was permanent damage but they did bring her to the hospital.

So, yes, I can see them ignoring the crying.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 7:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• One more reason I'll never just let a baby "cry it out" without checking on them.

I don't let my baby cio and I co-sleep so my baby is never alone at night.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 8:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Reminds me of a story I heard last summer. Family in RI bought a new crib mattress for the baby. Put the baby down for bed to CIO, let the baby cry for a while. Screams started intensifying, they figured it was part of CIO. Went in to check on LO after a while and found a snake wrapped around the child's body. A small hole was found in the mattress, and it was assumed the snake had made a home in the mattress while the mattress was stored in the warehouse.

Prayers for the family, and may the LO rest in peace.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Abortion would have been better for that poor thing...
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 8:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I can't bring myself to read the story but I get the gist from the comments above. These sorts of things make my heart ache! That poor baby! Those poor parents! I can't even imagine.

I don't CIO because it doesn't work for my son - BUT - even when parents do practice CIO they should check on the baby every 5 minutes or sooner for reassurance and to make sure there's no harm or danger.

I don't know if the article mentions CIO or not, I'm just going from what others are saying.

So scary!

And Epoh that's so horrible!!! Can you imagine that? Was the baby okay?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• yes, was the baby with the snake okay? I need to know or I'll have nightmares. Well I will probably have those anyway. I am phobic with snakes!
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 9:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Abatemarco of Troy, N.Y., says she was visiting family on Long Island, in Brentwood, last week when she discovered the snake coiled around Isabella's leg.

The mother told Newsday that she lifted her daughter out of the crib and the snake fell off. Her uncle then used a back-scratcher to lift the hissing snake and place it in a bucket until animal control officers arrived.

"Once I lifted her up and the snake fell off of her, she stopped crying," Abatemarco said. "But then I was the one crying all night."

The reptile has been identified as a 1-foot-long California king. While non-venomous, it is still a constrictor commonly kept as a pet.

Officials said they don't know where the snake came from, but Abatemarco told the paper that the reptile may have been in a mattress recently bought by her parents.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,364875,00.html
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 9:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2009