date nights?

I got into a fight with my sister last night because I told her that dh and I are going on a trip for 2 days next month and leaving dd at grandmas. My sister said that I am selfish because dh and I have date nights about once a month and go on mini vacations about 3 times a YEAR...Am I wrong to think that taking time to be a couple is good for my dd because it makes us happy with our relationship which in turns makes her happy??? So do you think that it is important to have "date nights" if so how often? Why or why not?

momofone072506

Asked by momofone072506 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• I do NOT think it is selfish to spend time as a couple. I think you are doing the right thing by spending time with your husband and making sure your marriage is great. If grandparents are happy to watch your DD than you should go for it. You know she is safe and happy while you are away. If I had grandparents here my husband and I would take mini vacations too. We go on date nights at least 2 times a month and they help our marriage so much.
    Good for you for keeping your marriage alive. Don't let your sister get you know and make you feel bad.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 7:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I think you have a great plan for a good relationship. Your sister could learn from what you are doing

Answer by admckenzie at 7:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I agree with the above date nights are a wonderful thing for a relationship and your sister should learn from what your doing continue the good work and your relationship will stay much happier and healthier than any of you sisters will
    lazo060109

Answer by lazo060109 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• we do the same as you. in fact we went to mexico for 2 wks in dec and jan now were planning to go to ny and will probably hit mexico again at the end of the yr. thats with me being pregnant. also we have date night about every two wks. i suspect she is jealous. you work hard as a couple to keep the flame alive and take care of your kid. you need a break. so take it if you are able.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Absolutely not! You should have time to yourselves!! Have fun!!
    navyma23

Answer by navyma23 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I totally think date nights are a wonderful idea. It gives a couple a chance to reconnect without children present and needing attention. There is nothing selfish about it at all if you ask me.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 7:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• thanks everyone! I was so frustrated with her because she kept telling me that if you need to take a break from your children then you don't really love them...Its nice to hear that you all think its a good idea!

Anonymous

• didn't mean to post that anon! lol
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2009