Atheists: Why do you believe you have emotions?

I was on an atheist website just now and I found a quote, "Emotions like love and faith do not come from your heart. The function of the heart is to pump blood. Emotions and thoughts are stimulated within the brain."

What do you believe emotions are and is your opinion different than someone who has a faith in God?

Do you believe in a soul?

Are emotions just for survival purposes?

I am not bashing, so please be nice to me.

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 7:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with the quote. I do not believe in any sort of soul, but see what you call a soul as a form of energy that each person imprints for himself on a generic overlay. And I agree with anon 7:10, that it has to do with survival. I personally have a lot of difficulty with both basic and advanced emotions, that I know other people feel rather effortlessly, because of my autism, especially concerning people at large. There have to be conditions and circumstances to make people and their emotions real to me in a meaningful manner. That some people are missing this ability and must learn it helps prove it is more about survival than for any other possible reason. In general, those who cannot connect, cannot procreate the species or imprint feelings on said procreation to further the species past that point. They are also more likely to feel isolated and prone to earlier demise for various reasons.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 7:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I'm not an Atheist but maybe its for survial. If we don't have emotions how can our mental well being flourish? This is a very good question though
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Why would you spend years caring for something that spends a year doing nothing but sleep, scream and poop if you didn't care about it? It's survival.
    Anonymous

• This video is only 40 seconds and it explains what happens in the brain when we feel emotions, but what do you think?

Emotions in the Brain

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• What do you believe emotions are and is your opinion different than someone who has a faith in God?.......
    the idea I think the person was trying to insinuate, is that emotions from the heart are a spiritual thing... which atheists don't believe in. Although the statement is correct (our emotions come from our brain not heart).. it's said in a way to deny that we have a spirit.

as for what I believe: I believe we do have a spirit.. but I understand how science works too. lol. So I'd have to say I both agree and disagree with this quote on emotions.

Do you believe in a soul?..... see above answer.

Are emotions just for survival purposes?... yes and no. We need our emotions to survive.. but I don't think that's all we use emotions for.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Emotions come from a chemical reaction in the brain.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Yeah, I can see how certain ones can be helpful for survival like anger and love.

But what about other ones like feeling embarrassed or goofy?

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Roachiesmom, you brought a whole other issue into this. Thank you. I didn't even consider people who have different emotional realities.

But you say, "That some people are missing this ability and must learn it helps prove it is more about survival than for any other possible reason." But doesn't this show that people can survive and care for the needs of themselves and others without an emotional impulse? I am just thinking that I know of women who have autism that are able to be great moms.

What do you think?
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• But what about other ones like feeling embarrassed or goofy?

Other animals appear to suffer embarrassment (shave a cat, or watch one after it does something really brain dead)... but those reactions can further connections between people -- embarrassment can evoke sympathy or create common ground, or it can be more a negative situation and from it you learn to not repeat something, or to avoid those who seek to make your life miserable for your mistake. Feeling goofy creates (usually) positive laughter that is supposed to create chemicals in most brains that spur the person to create more of those feelings.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 7:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• But it isn't that we don't have an emotional impulse, it's just that it's often very different. Many people on the spectrum can have very passionate feelings towards certain subjects or collections or hobbies -- things that to the normally-wired don't "return" our feelings in the way people would ideally. But we can't procreate with those, despite the degree of emotional satisfaction. I can guarantee you those moms have issues and situations they simply cannot connect to any standard way, and must go about things differently. BUT, in a survival context, if they fail to connect with another human being in a meaningful way, they won't become "moms" (barring rape), and if they don't create some form of connection with the baby, on some level, then -- barring outside assistance -- the baby's survival is in jeopardy. I think in a standard mother-child relationship, the bond is more instant, and the baby evokes feelings (cont)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 7:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2009