Any tips on feeding a picky eater? (Can I quote your answer in an article? If so, can I have your name and the state you live in...or you can remain anonymous, if you prefer.) Thanks so much!

writermama2

Asked by writermama2 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Continue to offer foods that weren't accepted the first or second time around, as tastes do change. It is not hard to disguise vegetables into a lot of foods, but that is not really helping in the long run. Make fruits and vegetables fun so that children are more likely to make healthier choices.

Billie, Colorado
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• All kids go through picky phases; how you handle them will determine if this is a phase or a life-long picky eater.

When my daughter was a toddler, she went through a very picky phase. I was able to get her to eat frozen peas and blueberries, and she resumed eating a variety of healthy foods.

Kids love to dip: fruit & yogurt; veggies & hummus or salad dressing; whole wheat pasta & steamed veggies with peanut or marinara sauce.

Kids love to cook! Go to the library and check out a couple of kids cookbooks (Pretend Soup is my favorite); or check out the kids cooking website: www.spatulatta.com

Take your child to the grocery store and let your child pick out a new fruit or vegetable to introduce to the family.

Robin in Chicago

Answer by rkoloms at 8:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Kids don't usually refuse to eat foods they have helped to make. So get them involved, ask for their imput and suggestions, and accept them if you can. Make them the assistant cook. Dont allow for many snacks as they could lose their appite. And set a good example by not snacking all day on junk. Make food relatively unimportant until its time to eat. We dont want to raise children that are either anticipating or dreading eating all day. We have other things to do!

Anonymous

• Offer a wide variety of foods that kids can feed to themselves. A wide varitey of colors at meals also helps. Remember that in order for kids to learn to like foods, it has to be offered a lot of times. Tastes change so what they don't like one time, they may like a few months later. I have a 2 bite rule, they must take 2 bites of everything at each meal before they can say they don't like it. That doesn't include foods that I know they truly don't like. My son hates jello and always have so I will not make him even try that.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2009