Should I get my 3 year old daughter's ear's pierced??

Ok so I have always said that I would not get my daughter's ear's pierced untill she is older cause I don't think you should pierce a baby's body just for looks and cutness and what not. But my daughter just turned 3 and she has been really into earrings and wanting to wear mine and all that but of course she can't cause her ears are not pierced. I bought her some of those child stick on earrings and she loves them and she does great with them and she never messes with them and they will still be on her ears when it's bedtime. But those things get kinda expensive and it's so hard to find them. And she tell's me she wants to wear earrings like me :( so what do you think? should I go ahead and take her to get her ears pierced or should I wait a couple more ears to get them done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• does she realize that it's a needle that makes the hole and that it hurts?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Sure why not?

My DD is 2 1/2 and I'm going to wait until she is older like 8 or 9 only because i want her to remember it. I was about 8 when I got my ears pierced and I still remember how exciting it was and I felt like the shit after it was done LOL!
    Anonymous

• How do YOU feel about it? Me, I'm not into it but I didn't get mine pierced till I was in my 20s because MY mom didn't have pierced ears till her 50s. If she *had* pierced ears when I was younger, I might have wanted them...though she'd said she wouldn't have allowed it till I was 13.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I dont see a problem with it! She is your child! Just make sure that you go somewhere where they are able to pierce both ears at once! I work at a doctors office and we pierce ears, and with any age if you do only one at a time she will not want to finish and get the other one done!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 7:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• i dont see a problem i pierced both my daughters ear the same day they got their first shots (at 2 months) it hurts less because their ears are really soft and thin and they dont remember the pain.
    adoradamia

Answer by adoradamia at 7:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I'm from Europe and let me tell you-your parents pierce your ears very early. I got mine when I was 2 weeks old and I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't know what's the big deal here in US,why wait?My daughter is 3 weeks now and I'm taking her next week to get her ears pierced.
    Savannah2009

Answer by Savannah2009 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Yeah, why not? My ears have been pierced since I was 6 months old...and I got my own daughters ears pierced at 2 months.The reason being, I'm a big chicken when it comes to needles and if I had to get my ears pierced now, I'd be wearing those grandma clip ons instead,lol. So I wanted to do the same for my daughter.It is quick...my daughter cried for about 3 and a half seconds and it was over...never have to think about it again.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I would wait a couple more years. If you do have it done then please have it done with a steril needle by a reputable shop (not clairs) or her doc. Piercing guns are unsanitary, and cause scar tissue because they pierce with blunt force. needle piercing is less painful as well.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Does she know it will hurt when they do it? I had to wait until just before kindergarten, and that's what I'll probably do with my own daughter. But I don't know, if she really, really wants it at that age, and I've explained as best I could how it works, and she STILL wants it, I'd probably do it.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:11 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I would go ahead since she is showing that much excitement about it. Like mrsmamaj said though, make sure that they can do both at the same exact time, which usually means two people do it. I'm thinking about getting my daughter's done and she is 5.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 2:15 AM on Jul. 17, 2009