• In the Spotlight:

Has anyone ever taken Prilosec or any other prescription drug for heartburn while pregnant?

I am almost 19 weeks pregnant and have been living on TUMS and taking Pepcid AC at nightime. That used to work but not anymore. Besides doing the common sense things like watching my diet and not eating too close to bedtime I don't know what else to do & I am miserable. Of course I will talk to my doctor about it first but was curious if anyone else out there has taken these types of drugs for relief while pregnant?

Susan901

Asked by Susan901 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ask for doctor for Protonix, its the BEST meds I have EVER gotten for heartburn, sometimes I used to lay in bed crying because of my heartburn, Protonix made me livable again! 40 mils twice a day- its a miracle!

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 7:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Oh Man, my heartburn has been just horrible horrible. I've been on Pepcid AC, I've been on Prilosec. I am now on Nexium. Still not great. UGH. I'm sick of this and ready to be DONE!
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 8:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I was allowed to continue on my prilosec during pregnancy, I cut out all caffeine, soda's and junk food and actually didn't need it much at all, but that was only my experience. I would ask your doc, but mine were fine with me taking it.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• The midwife gave me a prescription for Zantac 300mg. The pharmacy gave me the generic stuff but it still works fairly well. I still get heartburn, but not nearly as bad and it doesn't keep me up all night. I also started sleeping on my side but kind of propped up on three pillows. I probably could help myself by not eating spicy food, but I love spicy food and I'm eating it anyway. I have cut out carbonated drinks, though.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• my doctor told me that prilosec was a category C. not enough information to determine whether it's safe for mom and the baby. he moved me from Zegerid, another category C, to Protonix, like the woman above. it's a category B and helps tremedously. i can't sleep without it.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 17, 2009