• In the Spotlight:

My one-year old is sick &...

throwing up. I am not sure what to feed her. She is still nursing and she wants to nurse but I don't know if that's just going to make her stomach worse. She has only thrown up twice today and she doesn't have a fever. Any help would be appreciated.

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 7:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nursing is the BEST thing for a sick baby/toddler! It is NOTHING like giving cow's milk. Breastmilk is considered a "clear fluid." It is mostly water so it will keep her hydrated and it also has electrolytes. The best part is the antibodies which help to fight the illness.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 6:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• It won't make her tummy worse. Yes, she may throw up curdled milk. But that's just because the milk mixed with stomach acid - which happens to every food you eat.

I'd let her nibble on saltine crackers if she wants, maybe try a little baby cereal if she'll take it. Let her drink whatever she wants, as much as she wants.

If she throws up a lot or within minutes of drinking, then limit her to a couple of sips every 15 minutes.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2009