Why does this bother some people??

Yes, another question got me wondering, and no I am not being mean, just really curious. If you have a child why do you worry about that child, regardless of age, being around a naked parent of the same sex. I don't mean, as in running around all day, but like changing in the same room or in the shower. I mean, to me, if they've got the same junk, yeah, daddy's is bigger, but it's still the same stuff. So they notice the hair, that makes it normal to them and they don't worry when they get the hair. I really don't understand this idea that it is wrong for a child to see you naked. Could you explain the idea behind it? Why do you feel it is wrong?

Petie

Asked by Petie at 7:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think its wrong...even as teenagers, they share locker rooms for sports and see eachother naked there too.If people quit making everything out like seeing a naked body is perverted maybe it will be less of a big deal.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• For me it is a privacy question and teaching them that when they are naked or you are that it is a private matter. Call me old-fashioned. I think to it is morals. I think my son doesn't need to see everything daddy owns.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• For me it depends on the age. I don't think there is anything wrong with it for little kids. But it would be weird when they are older. For example a 13 year old looking at her mom naked... maybe a little traumatizing. Then again I don't have kids that age so maybe my opinion will change... but I doubt it. I know when I was that old I would have barfed if I saw one of my parents naked.
    aprilmommy123

Answer by aprilmommy123 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I don't think its a big deal. I don't want to put shame into my child about her body. She's seen me naked and asked about my stretch marks and etc and I've answered all her questions.

Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I don't think it's a big deal as long as you are around family. Sure nakedness is private, around non-family members; but family is family. My dad was never naked around the house, but my mom was because dad was the only male. Some cultures take baths together. We went to topless beaches together. I dont' see what morals has to do with it either. Naked does not equal sex.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 8:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I don't agree with it, but what you do with your family is your business.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I think it's how you grow up. If it's around family it's no big deal. My mom still changes in front of me and she's almost 70. I think it's a great way to learn about the changes that their body may go through one day. Like the pp said about stretch marks and etc...my dd has asked questions and it led to a discussion about puberty and all that and now she's ready for all the changes that will be happening to her body.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I agree with you completely!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• They are uptight prudes. I have morals thank you very much. I'm just not ashamed of the naked body.

MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• "For me it is a privacy question and teaching them that when they are naked or you are that it is a private matter. Call me old-fashioned. I think to it is morals. I think my son doesn't need to see everything daddy owns."

How is it about morals to see the same gender parent naked? Some very reserved cultures practice same gender public bathing.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2009