why would someon lie about their race?

i talked to a red head fair skinned USA born( i know cause i went to school with her brother) girl today who swore up and down she was mexican...im like wow really? i dont get the point of lying about race am i missing something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Unless she was trying to get a job and the company needed to fill their Mexican quota I have no idea why someone would lie...People are so effin weird.
    Anonymous

• I know a girl from Mexico with light brown hair and blue eyes.

Maybe you should let go of some of your stereotypes.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I know someone who does this too. She is Mexican, I know because I know her mother and sisters, but she swears she is from Spain. She tells her children to only tell people that they are Spanish and to deny they are Mexican. Her son told me (he is close in age to me) that she is ashamed to be Mexican and tells her kids they should be ashamed too.
    So sad. I have always felt bad for her kids. They have been brainwashed into believe they come from a race they should be ashamed of.
    aprilmommy123

Answer by aprilmommy123 at 8:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• op here

but this girl was BORn in the same town i was i know her parents and her brother she is far from being Hispanic of any kind how can she be born in kansas and have white parents and be mexivan?
    Anonymous

• well, I am American born, and have Italian great grandparents a full blooded Italian dad, and a mixed Italian/Hungarian mother. I say I'm Italian, where some would argue that I'm a mutt!

maybe SOMEWHERE in her family there is SOMEONE with Mexican in there blood-so she just says it to appear more exotic than she is.
    With that said, I don't know why she would pick Mexican, If I wanted to appear exotic I would say Spanish- Mexico is as close to American as you can get now! LOL

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 8:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I guess if they are sick in the head, or horribly ignorant or insucure. Who knows? Strange.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Well technically she wasn't lying about her RACE just her ethnicity.
    Anonymous

• Why does it bother you so much?
    Anonymous

• I am USA born and bred, I have blonde hair and green eyes, my parents were born in Mexico, I call myself mexican/american but sometimes I just shorten it to "I'm mexican". What you call yourelf doesn't mean where you were born! What about all these military babies being born in different countries. My niece was born in Germany and came back when she was 7 months old, we don't go around saying "You're German". She is mexican/american just like her parents.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• LOL I'M USA Born, but my family heritage is mexican.

I was telling a friend of mine that my nationality is mexican and she goes you don't look it :P

Hahaha people always tell me that :-P

But I dunno why someone would lie, thats dumb
    kframpton

Answer by kframpton at 8:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2009