Needing a positive outlook

So I realize I am not the most positive person in the world. I am realizing I see the negative side of things a lot and I really need to work on these things. How do I? Somewhere along the lines I have become I don't know how to say it but to make a word that I think fits what I am trying to explain "worldalized" Like the media with millions of negative reports but barely any positive ones. Sometimes its not me and the response should be negative. I don't know I just want to change it because I found it's beginning to push my husband away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• get the movie, THE SECRET. my negative friend said its amazing!
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Have you tried therapy? There are many people that feel the way you do because right now things aren't real positive. Having a professional to talk to might help though.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Practice. Buy a newspaper, read the main story, think all of your negative thoughts and then after those are out of the way, then find something positive to say about it. Sometimes you have to look hard. Keep doing this, even just read some of the posts on here and write the best and most positive thing you can! The more you do this, it will become second nature. My friend was the first in her family to ever be divorced and she was worried about how her parents were going to take it. I said to her "well, think about how much worse it could be, you aren't a serial killer, you aren't knocking over convienent stores, you aren't dating a felon, etc." Was her situation any better? NO,but she could see it wasn't the worse thing that could happen either. So sometimes you have to go to extremes to see the silver lining but its there.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 8:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• i heard about the secret. i will look into that. im like becoming my grandmother. she is the same exact way. always has to be right. very opinionated and negative about things. although i am negative i do feel i am right. i just think things are so negative in this world that i can pretty much predict the outcome which will more then likely be negative so then it seems like i am always being negative. im not very optimistic and dont see a reason to be often because history to me usually repeats itself and the outcome is usually pretty much known before hand anyway. i dont know if that makes much sense but its the way i see it.
    Anonymous

• now even with those opinions i feel hard work pays off. it def. has for me. overall i have a great life. awesome husband two amazing kids great job but i feel the world has made me the way i am.
    Anonymous

• I was the same way once I realized I wanted to change to. I wont lie its hard however, u can do it. I just have to stop & take a moment to think of each situation at hand & weigh out the neg v. the pos. I tell myself that tomorrow is a new day when I'm having a bad one. When my DD is acting up I say its only a stage telling myself lil things like this helps me to get thru the stress of that moment. I try to smile & laugh more. I take things lightly dont let them bother me too much. I really dont know how to explain how I overcame my neg outlook but I have come a long way I still find myself acting in a neg manner sometimes though w/o knowing it. The first step is to reconize it the second one is to smile & laugh more, I guess. Does any of this even make sense? PM me anytime to vent or ask questions I'm always happy to make a new friend :)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• OMG Lesli awesome advice. I'm sure i will fill weird and a bit out of place being so positive but i think your suggestions is great. thank you a lot. that really hit home somewhere and i want you to know that has just made a difference in my life and you should know that. thank you sincerely.
    Anonymous

• Another great piece of advice Mel. I really appreciate the positivity from you all. I am going to work on this
    Anonymous

• No problem, I am naturally cheerful. My DH married me for that reason, opposites attract! Still I have the opposite problem, if you get to positive, people mistake it for being naive! My mom, DH, Sis, Dad, everyone else, thinks I live in my own Utopia. Its more than possible, but hey I am happy here and honestly its so much less stressful!
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 9:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I used to struggle with negativity. Now I am a very positive person.

Some things that helped me:

-Try to see the bright side. So you're stuck in traffic with no end in sight. Instead of swearing, realize that now you have the chance to finish the rest of that cd, or now you have 20 minutes to yourself to relax.
    -See the good in people, or at least humor them.
    -Stop complaining. Period. Don't complain about things and don't sweat the small stuff. So what if the restaurant was overpriced and busy? At least you got to enjoy a good meal with good people. Most of the things I hear people complain about just don't matter. I find that most people complain for attention. Find and give attention in more positive ways, such as stimulating conversation or fun activities.
    -Practice kindness and politeness to every person you meet. Say please and thank you to the cashier and smile.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:05 AM on Jul. 17, 2009