Has anyone had a baby with a club foot?

When i was about 5 months pregnant we found out that my son was going to have a club foot. There are no other problems with him, but my ob said that he may have to go into icu for the first few hours just for better testing. Im just a little worried so i thought id see if anyone else has had to go through this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Health

• My SO's cousin has club feet, they had to wait until his feet were done growing before they could operate on him to turn them back around. Not sure how he walked before then though. His feet r small in size b/c of it, he has to take pain killers b/c they hurt, & he hobbles or walks weird b/c of them. I dont mean to scare u but he's living w/ this condition was in & out hospitals for a while when having them corrected but u'll get thru this & things will turn out fine.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Well the sonogram showed that it wasnt completely crooked so he may not have to have surgery. the doc said they will just put his foot in a splint or cast until it straightens itself out. i just dont wan thim to have to go into icu right away especially for 2 hours. i wan to be able to spend some time with him before he goes. and since i will be in bed for a while i wonder if they will let my husband go with him to icu.
    Anonymous

• I'm sure they'll let ur DH go w/ him. ICU can be scary I havent had to deal w/ that but when my DD was 8 days old she was admitted to the Childrens Hosp for 14 days so pretty much the same thing. I didnt get to see my DD right off when she was born b/c she wasnt breathing so it took a little time for me to see her but u will get to see ur LO I know its hard but just have the patience & all will work out. Glad to hear that he dosent have club foot that bad as his feet grow I would think the splits will help guide them to turn themselves back around. I'm sure they'll be some type of a pain med to help out w/ any pain too. If u need anyone to talk to anytime PM me I havent been thru what ur going thru but can relate to the whole having a LO in the hosp thing.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I can kind of relate. To be honest I wish they had taken my dd straight to icu. Instead they let me and dh hold her and she stopped breathing in dh's arms and turned white as a ghost. It still haunts dh to this day. She was gone for 10 hours but it was much more comforting to be holding her knowing that they checked her out and kept an eye out for anything. It was more relaxing after she got back and I was able to enjoy it more.

Now about the club foot. I was born with club foot and while mine was a more severe case I definately would look into a top notch orthopedist. I would recommend one that does the Ponseti method. It's non surgical and more gentle. You can google it to find more info. Waiting until his bones are done growig is a big mistake. Trust me. I just underwent my second surgery as an adult and the recoup time sucks! I had surgery in March an still having a hard time walking. PM me for more ?'s
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My SIL's baby was in ICU shortly after birth until the next day and her husband or she was with the baby the entire time. Her husband was there to begin with, but after she was able to, she went in herself. She was breastfeeding, so they would have her come to feed the baby when she wasn't in there, too.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2009