Does anyone know the test that they give to underweight kids?

Ok here is the deal my ds is 10 1/2 months old when he was born he was 9 lbs (90%) when he was 3 months he was in the (50%), 6 months (35%) and 10 months (20%). My pediatrition for my ds is concerned cause he is dropping in the weight charts. I feed my ds tablefood and everything and he eats like a pig but only weights 19.4 lbs and my ped. wants to run some test on him when he is a year if he is still in the weight or lower. I have no clue what they are or even if they are needed. My ds is a very active little boy and is walking already for the most part and is NEVER still. Any ideas on what the test are and what they intale thanks so much.

1st_timer_31

Asked by 1st_timer_31 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Metabolic testing, tests his thyroid for hyper or hypo thyroidism. My son is the same way, he was 16.8 lbs at his 9month apt, he was 7.2lbs when he was born. My son is walking, and he eats really really well, table foods and nurses still. I feel that my son is perfectly fine and refused the testing as his older brother was the same way and he is a perfectly healthy 38lbs 4 year old. Do what your gut tells you.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 9:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My gut tells me he is fine too. My only concern also is he DOES have a HEART condition and I dont know if thats what the problem could be too. I am just at a lose.
    1st_timer_31

Answer by 1st_timer_31 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My son was 7lb 6oz at birth and was only 18.2 lbs at 9 1/2 months -- just above the 10th percentile. He has a huge belly and is eating a lot. He's extremely active -- crawling and standing everywhere.

I hope everything turns out okay for you! Some doctors just want to be sure everything is okay, which is awesome because most just don't care.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• my first thought was throid. theyd probably do a blood test to see how well different processes are working. But since you said he has a heart condition, i would be concerned about that. my friend had open heart surgery at a few weeks old. She ate two or three times as much as a normal baby and was not thriving. All of her energy went towards pumping her heart. obviously your child isn't this serious, but if extra energy is being used because of the heart condition, it's worthwile for the doctor to be safe and check that too.
    Anonymous

• I agree, if the heart condition is a concern, then go ahead with the testing. I just think my peds is being overly cautious and doesn't know our family history of being peanuts! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Hi. My 3rd daughter was 9lbs 3oz when she was born. She was only 14lbs at her 9 month appt and 17 lbs at her 1 year check up. Even though she seemed healthy, we let the doctors run a bunch of tests. They did blood work, they put a catheter in and ran dye through while xraying to check her urinary tract, and they did a bone scan. They ended up deciding that she must just be petite. Once the tests were done, she had a major growth spurt. She gained 9lbs in 6 months. By 18 months she was back up in the middle/average range for her age.
    I've had other children since then, and they all did the same thing. They come out large, gain slowly for the first year, and then catch up after they are one. If you think your son is fine, you might want to wait until he is one (or one and a half) and see what happens.
    Feel free to send me a message if you want to chat any more.
    Sheri
    mom to 8
    PAmommy

Answer by PAmommy at 2:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2009