What are the test they give to underweight kids?

Ok here is the deal my ds is 10 1/2 months old when he was born he was 9 lbs (90%) when he was 3 months he was in the (50%), 6 months (35%) and 10 months (20%). My pediatrition for my ds is concerned cause he is dropping in the weight charts. I feed my ds tablefood and everything and he eats like a pig but only weights 19.4 lbs and my ped. wants to run some test on him when he is a year if he is still in the weight or lower. I have no clue what they are or even if they are needed. My ds is a very active little boy and is walking already for the most part and is NEVER still. Any ideas on what the test are and what they intale thanks so much.

1st_timer_31

Asked by 1st_timer_31 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Health

• I have not heard of any tests for underweight babies or kids. My son was off the charts for weight until he was a year old because he was huge then he was off the charts because he was so tiny. As long as your child is gaining weight and growing at a steady pace, they are probably ok. I would think your son just has a high metabolism. But just do what the doctor suggests to make sure there is nothing wrong.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• my son has a pitutary disease and he does not [produce his own growth hormones and they did tests but they were concerned about his height as well since he was growing on either scale. They gave him blood pressure meds that act like hgh in a persons blood to test his blood for several hours, a bone age (xray), so I guess blood work for HGH and other diseases, he was tested for cancer, including lukemia, diabetes, and several other conditions,. forgive me it's been 12 years since his was done. Not saying this is your son's case but just answering your question.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:08 AM on Sep. 16, 2009