Nervous about vaccines

I have recently gotten nervous about vaccines/autism. It was after my son got his MMR and I read up on it, I kinda got freaked out. Up to that point I was fine with vaccines and he was up to date. At his 18 month visit, I got him vaccinated with the DTP,as I thought it was necessary, but held off on the 3rd polio booster and the Hep A, as I thought that was a lot at once. His 2 year will be in 2 months and I know the doctor will want me to give those 2 to get him up to date. I am more nervous I think because he is at that age where they start to develop autism. I am planning on getting him a flu shot at his 2 year visit, and I don't want to overload him w/ vaccines. I kinda want to wait until his 3 year to get him finished, or spread them out over the next year. Does anyone else feel this way? I don't want to NOT vaccinate him, as I feel it is important, but I feel like I should be cautious.
I'm so confused!

carriemills

Asked by carriemills at 8:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is not at the age when they start to develop autism. He is at the age where if he does have autism, it can be diagnosed as the symptoms become more recognizable. I strongly urge you to do some reading from reliable sources on autism. (autismspeaks.org is pretty good) If he is autistic...you'd have started noticing symptoms by now anyway (shots or not)

There is no reason to be worried about his vaccines because there is NO link between vaccines and autism.

If you want to spread them out, that is your choice!! You do have that right. I'm not sure where you are, but flu shots here aren't given until starting in October just before the beginning of flu season. And if this is his first, he has to have another dose the month following.
    Anonymous

• I appreciate what you are saying. I guess what information I am talking about is parents who truly believe that vaccines caused their child to become autistic. They basically say that their child was perfecly normal, and then after vaccines started showing signs. I know it could be coincidence, but is hard to read another parents story and not believe it on some level. My son will be going in early October for his appointment .... I just rounded to 2 months! Thanks for writing, I always like to hear what people think of things.
    carriemills

Answer by carriemills at 9:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I understand your fears, but you do need to remember that things have a tendency to be blown out of proportion. As Anon said, there really isn't any hard core proof that vaccines cause autism that I have seen. I have 2 very healthy almost adults, 18 & 19, and I did all of their shots on time. I was far more worried about them getting the illnesses that the vaccines prevented. They are both intelligent people in college and they were exposed to several things they were vaccinated for (thank God I got the shots). I even did the chicken pox before it was manditory and neither of them got that, and boy were they exposed to it! Take a deep breath and remember to enjoy your kiddo and try not to over worry :D
    Newtsgirl

Answer by Newtsgirl at 9:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• From what I've heard, it's the MMR shot that "causes" autism. Although no link has been proven. It's also around 18 months when the signs of autums beign to show. So if your child is almost 2 and already had the MMR, then I wouldn't worry too much about autism. My daughter was fully up to date at 18 months so didn't get any shots at 2 years and there have been no signs of autism. If you are concerned about getting too many shots at once, talk to your doctor. He/She probably has some good ideas on how to spread them and maybe can help calm some of your fears. If he/she pushes you, it might be worth getting another professional opinion.
    Anonymous

• i am spreading them out, just because of the same reason, it really freaked me out about this POSSIBLE connection. i have her MMR coming up next week and to tell you the truth im terrified, i love her to death and what if it does cause it and just hasn't been proven, i think i will try and postpone. . . i dunno
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 11:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2009