my 4 almost 5 year old son dont want to go to school

he went to tiny tots and pre school like a champ but now that he knows he is going to start kinergarden he keeps telling me that he is not going! what do i do? i feel bad i dont want him to be crying the first day of school...

beautiful2257

Asked by beautiful2257 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• See if you two can got to school a week early for a tour and see the FUN stuff like the playgroung, gym, science lab or whatever you know he will like. Reassure him of the schedule" mommy will be here to take you in the morning and a bit after lunch time I will be back to see you" whatever the situation is. GL I have one about to go into K also. He has his days. Some he is super excited and others he gives me a guilt trip about missing me when school starts.
    Anonymous

• my babysitters son is also having this issue he starts kindergarden this fall, my two boys are in school so they have been talking about how fun school is and my babysitter is reassuring him daily that school will be fun and exciting and she will be there to pick him up everyday right after school. good luck to you
    momof4anglz

Answer by momof4anglz at 11:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• He might of been picked on at the other place. Just tell him its gonna be alright. on open house night let him meet with teacher. and play for awhile. Does he know any of the other kids that are going. if so you might try so and so is going dont you wan to see them... I realy cant help ya all mine were excited to ride the BIG BUS... good luck.
    twistedcandy

Answer by twistedcandy at 8:56 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• We all have to do things we don't want to do. It's part of growing up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Lots of kids cry the first day of school; lots of moms do, too.

Drop the subject for a while; then about a week before school starts, take him shopping for his backpack, lunch bag, and other school supplies.

Be sure he picks out his outfit the night before the first day of school. That night make a special dinner with a special treat for dessert.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• The teachers expect it and are fully equipped to handle it. I think the biggest problem is the moms crying though. My daughter went to kindergarten this past year and she was my first. She couldn't have cared less, I was the one with all of the anxiety. But the teachers reassured us that they would be fine and they were. I can't say that I saw a single child crying that first day either now that I think about it. Just don't share your anxiety with your child. Reassure him that it will be fun and let him know that it isn't a choice, he IS going but he'll love it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Try to visit the school before the first day if you can. Go play on the playground, meet the teacher, etc. Also, there are many books about going to Kindergarten in the public library that you can read ahead of time so he has an idea of what will be happening.
    The book called The Kissing Hand is a good one to read. It talks about separation from mom and how to handle it. It is a picture book for kids.

Lastly, and this is the hardest part for parents. When you take him on the first day. Say your goodbyes at the classroom door and unless the teacher asks everyone to come in, stay in the hall, say goodbye and then LEAVE! Do not stay hanging around and definantly do not let him see you lingering! This sends a message to him that you do not think that he can handle this situation. Teachers are ready to handle these issues so don't worry about them. He may be upset for a short time, but will quickly get over it.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I wouldn't make a big deal about it. Read different books for the characters he likes who start school (Arthur, Franklin etc.) to show how they deal with going to school.  http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html  Click on School, Starting, Afraid Of

Some kids think they are missing something at home...so remind him you will be doing housework and will be ready to have fun with him when he gets home.

Take tour of school and meet teacher (one on one) in advance.  Have a friend in class over before school starts so he is comfortable with one other student.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:18 AM on Jul. 18, 2009