• In the Spotlight:

2-for-1 special!

Okay, so I have two questions, so I just figured I'd ask them simultaneously. First question: My two month old son absolutely HATES tummy time. The pediatrician said he should get a half hour a day, but I put him on his belly and within two minutes, he's red faced and SCREAMING. Not just crying; he sounds like someone's trying to kill him! (what a drama king) How can I make tummy time better for him? And if I can't do that, should I just do it anyway, while he's upset? Second question: How can I interact with an 8 week old baby?? I wanna play with him & entertain him, but I don't know what to do. Most of the day, we're just sitting around reading stories or I'm dangling toys in front of his face for him to look at or making funny faces at him. I know he doesn't have a long attention span, but he's GOTTA be bored. What kind of activities can I do with him?

MissPixiePaige

Asked by MissPixiePaige at 9:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• LOL, you are too cute. Yes, mine did the same thing about tummy time. Even when he learned to roll over. He would just sream!! I just did it gradual. propped up a little under a boppy . I even started with laying him on the floor on his back, just to get him use to being placed on the floor. Just try alittle everyday until he gets use to it.
    As far as him getting bored with your funny faces, NEVER! Mine is now 5 and still cracks up when I am goofy. Try new noices with household items like shaching ceral boxes. You can make new things to see with a simple bottle of bubbles. Play a kid CD while singing songs like ABC'S and Old macDonald (sound effects and all) LOLEven changing the location of the baby swing to a new part of the house is interesting at this age. GL
    Anonymous

• For tummy time have some toys that he only gets during tummy time. Something that catches his attention, and at the end of tummy time, the toy is gone, until next tummy time.

I kept the baby in the room where I was working, talking and singing toward him the whole time.

Answer by Bmat at 9:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• as for the tummy time they make this thing that spins that you place the child in and its like a play mat. Here si the link: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2593005
    I bought mine on Ebay for cheaper than stores and still new. They also make one thats the shape of an airplane but that one I could only find online.
    As for playing with the baby, I asked the same question when my son was that age and then found out that exactly what you are doing is what you do. Talk to them a lot and read and sing and show them things. I used to carry my son around the house or take him places and tell him all about things, like what they are and what they are used for and things like that
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 10:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• get on the floor and play with him...
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Lay him on your chest and recline back in a chair! That counts, and he may not be so apt to freak if he can see you and hear your heart beat! The main motivation for tummy time is to help them to strengthen their head, neck and back muscles so anything you can do, doesn't necessarily have to be on the floor! Make your funny faces while he is on your chest! He will be close enough to study your face, take his little hand and point to your facial features and say each part.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My son didn't like it either. But I did put him on his tummy only for about 5 minutes at a time at that age. I did find that he liked it more if he was lying on my tummy.
    My son didn't like tummy time until he was probably 3 or 4 months old.
    Things to do with your baby... go for walks, sing, read books, show him new sensations... like rub his feet on something soft, something cold, something warm, wet, smooth, rough...
    Start teaching him simple sign language
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• when they say 30 min a day that is all together so don't stress about doing it all in one stint every little bit counts and on the plus side his lungs are getting lots of air. mine hated it to so i got a play mat that had a mirror and other toys on it to catch his attention and just worked our way up I also got down on the floor with him so he didn't feel so left behind the other thing I did was lay him on the bed while I sorted laundry the softer surface seemed easier on him. good luck momma

knepppi

Answer by knepppi at 12:22 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• here's what worked best for me. lay down on floor and put baby on your chest on his tummy. He'll be more likely to enjoy it if it's lifting his head to see you. Or even sitting up with him on your chest, he still gets exercies lifting his head. My duaghter also like being on the boppy so she wasn't flat on the floor but was still lifting her head.

As for playing, I think your doing about all you can. toys close then far away, high contract items, and short periods of time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Jul. 17, 2009