• In the Spotlight:

Trying to get him off the bottle for good!!

My son has been able to use a sippy cup since 6 months old but for whatever reason I cannot get him to drink Milk out of one. We want him off he bottle completely but he always wants one and he needs his milk so we don't know what to do. Should we just go with the cold turkey approach or can someone reccomend something else? A nutrionist said to try putting a little bit of choc or strawberry syrup in the milk in a sippy cup and that usually works but my son doesn't like that AT ALL!! We never had a problem with sucking the thumb and getting him to stop with the binky just happened on its own but this is much harder!

ctsassy

Asked by ctsassy at 9:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I personally would just throw the bottles away!!! Tell your son that you are saying bye bye to bottles... and let him watch you throw them away, so he knows you arent kidding! Maybe get him some cool sippy cups, that he can pick out! If he goes a few days without milk, its okay, just make sure you get dairy in his diet somehow.... Good luck!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My daughter's pediatrician recommended putting water in the bottle and milk in the cup. I still haven't tried it yet though.
    Anonymous

• i just thrown mine away, my son is 13 months and doesnt use a bottle at all, it was a rough 2 days but h dont even wine no more he loves his big boy cup, i did find that the nuk cups were easier for him to ajust to
    Anonymous

• ive noticed the longer you wait, the more difficult it gets... with my daughter i stopped giving it to her cold turkkey. i just had to comfort her at night. and by day 4 she was sleeping through the night. from 9 pm to 9 am. =D good luck its never easy
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 10:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Since he's only 14 mos old, I would ask your dr. We didn't get our FS off the bottle until 21 m/o, and he was off for 3 weeks. (Very hard time getting him to sleep, but we were working on it.) I happened to be in the office getting a flu shot for FS, when I commented that he was off the bottle, but that he no longer drank milk. We did ALL the cool sippy cups, 2 tubs of them. BTW, he's been drinking water & juice from sippies since about 9 months old. No big deal. But milk, (with strawberry or chocolate or yogurt or anything) he would absolutely NOT drink out of a cup. (with a straw, w/o a straw, w/o a lid.....get it???) So, no bottle, no milk. Our dr was concerned & said if he would only take it out of a bottle, then I needed to put it in a bottle. He said he needed it until at least age 2. So, after a little "Are you sure? Did I hear you right?", we gave him the bottle back. No more sleep problems. Your dr may say different.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:41 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• nuby has a sippy cup that the spout is soft like a nipple of a bottle.Please dont put choc. or strawberry syrup in your little ones bottle.Ask any dentest and they will tell you thats not a good idea.neither is milk or juice at bedtime.
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 3:27 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Calcium regulates the body's heart and brain. Vitamin D is needed for the body to absorb the calcium into the blood. Both are in milk. 1-3 y/o require 500mg of Calcium per day, 4-8 require 800 mg per day, & older require 1000 mg per day. Also, for building bones & teeth. If your child doesn't get this from food, he needs the milk. Please talk to your doctor. We told our dr. that we gave him yogurt & cheese, but he said the amounts of calcium in the 2-4 oz of yogurt or 1-2 oz of cheese were no way near enough.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2009