how to get my baby to feed him self?

well my son just had his 1 b-day when do you get him to feed himself. and how do you get them to. he can with his fingers, but he will not try to use a spoon. he just want us to feed him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• HA! Wish I could help. If it makes you feel any better I have a 13 month old DS that wont even finger feed himself! Just plays with it! if I want it to go in his mouth I have to feed him!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 10:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• usually around 18 months is when they should be able to use a spoon and be working on fork skills. Let him eat with his fingers now and then have practice time where you help him use a spoon to scoop things. With my daughter I used the thick and creamy yogurt made by yoplait because it stuck to the spoon better and didn't just drip off in 2 seconds. Good luck. He'll get there on his own time.. it's too early to be worried about it now.
    Josslynsmommy

Answer by Josslynsmommy at 10:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My daughter is 18 months and is starting to get pretty good at using a toddler fork. I have been letting her use one since around a year old and she didnt have clue how to use it untill around 15 months. Lots of practice and patience. Just keep trying to show him at every meal how to use it and let him see you eat at the same time with a similar utinsil. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I think that this is just a boy thing. My ds would still have me feed him, if I would and he is 15 (years, that is). A lot of boys, and men too, are just lazy and would rather have someone do things for them, especially if they know you will. If he is hungry he will learn to do it, when you don't.
    Anonymous

• By the time he is 3, he'll be using a spoon. For now, the important thing is to let him explore his food and eat it. Over the next year, you can keep encouraging him to use his spoon. Over the year after that, you can put more pressure on him. But always remember that he is still mastering fine motor-skills and let him proceed at his own pace.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Just put the food in front of him, stick the spoon in so he has a scoop and the handle is easy to grab. He will probably get the first scoop in and then just play with the spoon. That's how you get them to do it. They won't learn if you don't let him try and most kids eat with their fingers until they are 3. My youngest was feeding herself when she was 8 months old (refused to let us feed her after that) and since we always let her do it by the time she was 15 months she was eating off a spoon or fork without making a mess. She was also drinking out of a regular cup and hasn't had a sippy cup since she was like 22 months old.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I gave her the food, and put either a spoon or a curved spoonlike fork in it... but she's been taking that spoon from me since she was 6 mos old (we started baby foods at 4 mos). What really worked is taking out TWO spoons so I could feed her and she could.... fling it everywhere.... or try to feed herself depending on which way you look at it! LOL
    It takes time and practice, he will get it!! When you give him food, put the spoon on the tray and he will pick it up eventually! Also, eating with him and showing him that you use it too helps. Don't force him to use it but let him see you use it and give him one at the same time... that will help. It's also important to let them explore with their mouth and get the different textures and tastes so it is natural for him to "play" with his food.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it for a while yet. My son, at 14 months suddenly decided he didn't want to be fed anymore, and was going to feed himself. He would simply not eat if I tried to feed him. So things were a little messy for a while. But 6 months later, he eats like a pro. But I probably wouldn't have worried about it until age 2.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2009