How Do You Feel About Other Denominations?

In my short 24 years of life, I've had the opportunity to meet Christians of a wildly different denominations and views and have come to find that many of them are very well thought-out and researched views, including views in opposition to each other. Boiling it down, many times it is a matter of interpretation and an earnest attempt by each person/denomination to try and worship God as closely as he intended.

Many people with opposing Christian beliefs arrive at them with an earnest heart and prayer, seeking the Lord's will and believe that the Holy Spirit has lead them to their particular belief/denomination. That being said, is it possible for a denomination different than your own to please God, even if they're not worshipping in the way you believe is right?

Are there some that are "OK" and some that are not?

No bashing. Don't call out specific denoms if you feel it will start drama.

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 10:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There was a post in one of the groups I'm in about this and I posted on there. I'm gonna cut and paste from there.

Now mind you I am not one to condemn denominations. There are valid theological and even style issues that denominationalism help us deal with. I would probably never feel comfortable worshiping in a charismatic church. But as with most things we humans have our hands in we have elevated denominationalism to godhood. I don't give a rat's behind what denomination you are. If you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior then you are my Sister in Christ. We are one in Him. I believe there will come a time when persecution forses us to put away these differences and unite, if not in practice, in spirit and love.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• If you're not sure about what you believe vs. what other denominations believe, here are some of the "views that divide":
    -Transubstantiation vs. Real Presence vs. Paratransubstantiation vs. Symbolism of elements
    -Predestination vs. Free Will
    -Election vs. Free Will
    -Iconism/blessed objects/various church decor
    -Trinitarianism
    -Protestant/Catholic/Orthodox/Anglican/Other Branches
    -Believer's Baptism vs. immersion vs. Infant Baptism
    -Female pastors and female church officers
    -Church government
    -Ways of dressing/tatoos/piercings
    -Prophecy/Tongues vs. No Prophecy/Tongues
    -Ardor of worship vs. order of worship

ect. ect. ect.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I'm Catholic. Yes I believe other denominations can please God. I don't ponder or argue anything. I converted from Baptist to Catholic 3 years ago because in the Catholic church is where I felt closest to God, personally. But I will never bash anyone from any other faith. I just don't believe we are supposed to.
    Anonymous

• Thanks Anon :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Very thoughtful question NovemberLove. It really made me think about my beliefs and those of the people around me. I personally feel that we all need to worship in the way that we feel God is telling us to, otherwise our actions are rubish to Him. So, I am convicted of my beliefs and I realize that others are too. Your question is something we all struggle with ~ how do we reconcile those different beliefs with ours?

After leaving my parents church and growing in my relationship with Him, I have struggled with this. I finally came to the realization that it is not my job to judge how others worship, but to leave that to God to do. In the end He will judge all our actions and more importantly our hearts. There are some beliefs that are so against God's teachings that I do believe are sinful or blasphemous but again I try not to judge, pray for them and just put it in God's hands.
    jo.smith

Answer by jo.smith at 11:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• After being brought up in a Methodist church, baptized in a Baptist church (age 10,) coverting to a Mormon church (age 15 then taking a long break!) going to a Pentecostal Assembly of God church, and now in a Orthodox Christian church......
    I know the most important thing to me is my belief in Jesus my Savior, the Son of God. These churches have this as the core of their doctrine. I personally do not think it is important to worry about which denominations do or do not dance, do or do not speak in tongues, and so on. Jesus's sacrifice for our sins and looking to the Bible as God's Holy word is taught in all of the different churches I have visited and that is really all that matters to me.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Thanks everyone for your answers (and credit for the question really belongs to teamquinn. I've posted about tolerance among denominations before and she suggested I bring it up).

I was raised to be tolerant-but-indifferent of other denominations. It was more of a matter of survival rather than being ignorant. You can imagine going to an inter-denominational school and having every teacher telling you THEIR denomination was the right one...ahhh! I developed an indifference just to put up with it and to block them all out lol. There are some denominations I am still very angry with at times because of how certain teachers treated me for my beliefs. Putting a stop to myself being intolerant of other denominations was brought about by me realizing that my spirituality is very personal to me. Just like I don't want my experiences to be discredited, I should not discredit those of others because I cannot know their hearts.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:16 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I think what matters is whether or not you are born again and you are a child of God. There is only one body and Jesus is the head (not the denominations). I personally am not part of any denomination, but I have gone to other denominational churches and had amazing fellowship with the members there.

There are certain groups that claim to be Christian however, which deny the central beliefs of Christianity in extreme ways. I personally feel like they are leading the people in error that can be dangerous. They can also be controlling. People still have the right to choose to go to them and associate and all. I just think they are wrong. I won't mention the ones I disagree with because I don't want to start drama like you said.

So yes, as children of God we need to be united. But as children of God I personally feel called to stand up for biblical teachings. cont.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:25 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Just to clarify I believe that the central doctrines that matter, are:

* Monotheism-- there is only one God
    * The deity of Christ
    * Salvation by grace through faith -- not good works
    * The resurrection of Christ
    * The gospel - we can escape judgment and live eternally with God, having our sins forgiven because of Jesus' death on the cross.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:29 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• It is not a matter of denonmination. Demoninatinalis is manmade and has alot of politics involved. Following the word of God however line upon line and precept upon precept is the only way to true Holiness and relationship with Jesus Christ.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:30 AM on Jul. 17, 2009