Hitting

my son is 14 months old and has recently started hitting. I don't know where or why kids learn it, but I don't want him hitting. So far he has not hit any other kids, just me! What are some good ways of getting him to learn not to hit?

ctsassy

Asked by ctsassy at 10:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh i just popped my son on the butt and told him he doesn't hit mommy. that worked for me lol
    Anonymous

• My friend has a son who is almost 2 and he hits, scratches and kicks everyone. She tells him no, but she's not very consistent & he knows that. I know she talked to a behavior specialist and was told not to make a huge deal when he does it because that's giving him attention. I, on the other hand, don't think I believe that. I think he needs to be told no every time and put in time out so he learns. But to each his own! It's not my place to say anything. Have you talked to a dr or specialist?
    TP1283

Answer by TP1283 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I was going to mention it to his doctor today but there was just so much going on it completely slipped my mind (my little boy has the flu :( ) I read online that you are supposed to take their hand and calmly tell them not to hit. Well I have been trying that and it hasn't been working so NEXT! lol
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 10:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• hit him back! everyone says to just be consistent with saying "NO!" but that didn't work for my son one bit. so i hit him back (not too hard, just to the point where they know they did something wrong) and now he very rarely hits.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 10:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Hold his hands until they stop trying to hit you and say "That hurts mommy!" Spanking is not really helpful at this point because most children at this age will just hit you again. I held my son's hands and he stopped.

good luck!
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon :21. Spanking isn't going to work til later.
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My son still hits every now and then, but only me and usually because he is hyper. My older kids don't hit me at all anymore. I smacked their hand at first, with the older 2 it worked I only smacked their hands once or twice and they don't hit anymore. My youngest on the other hand thinks that it's funny when I try to spank him, or smack his hand or mouth, so I just grab his arm when he swings and don't let go until he stops fighting and is calmer. I don't do anything to him, but hold his arm...no squeezing, yelling...ect. (I rarely look at him when he is fighting) I just simply grab his arm as he is swinging at me (before he actually makes contact) and when he is done fighting, I let go and tell him not to hit me because it hurts and it's not nice. Good luck
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 1:43 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Yeah, my 14-month-old girl thinks it is so FUNNY when she hits me or my husband. I haven't quite figured out what's going to work with her either. Right now we just kind of ignore it and she gets bored and does something else.
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 1:54 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My son hits, bites, and pinches. About 3 months ago I could do nothing to get him to stop but now that he is nearly two I grab his face and make him look me in the eyes and I say very stern you do not hit (or pinch/bite) and he normally stops. If he doesn't I lock him in his room for 1/2 minute and when the time is up I ask him if he is ready to stop crying and come out and be nice... normally this always works but if I not I come back every 1/2 minute until he has settled down! At this age this is normally childrens way of playing or showing they are excited.... So until they can have conversations with you there isn't much you can do!
    Tracy_d3

Answer by Tracy_d3 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 17, 2009