How much natural sugar is too much in a day?

I once heard that 40 grams of sugar was the limit for the day when talking about natural sugars coming from dairy and fruit and all. Is this true? I am trying to drop weight and wondered about this.

TrezsMom

Asked by TrezsMom at 10:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I never heard this? I know that you should have 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors

Answer by rkoloms at 11:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• i love sugar. The more the better: I'm being sillly(:
    jenn31

Answer by jenn31 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• 40 grams still seems a bit high, I'd think more like 30 but then again I'm diabetic so I really need to keep an eye on how much sugar, added or natural, I consume. Sugar is sugar and sugar is carbs...it'll turn to fat in your body if you don't burn it off.

You can find natural sugars in some dairy products, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Some fruits, like bananas, grapes and watermelon have higher sugar content than apples or berries so you'll need to make some wise choices and the key is MODERATION. Obviously fresh fruit is better than fruit juice.

You may want to Google "glycemic index" to see which foods are lower on the scale. The lower the number, the better for you.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2009