I'm a young mom, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid!

I'll be 18 at the end of august. I got married at 17 and did so before I even knew I was pregnant. I got married because I was in love and wanted to be with him for the rest of my life. I'm now 26 weeks pregnant and am doing perfectly fine on my own. No, we didn't get pregnant on purpose.. but I'm mature enough to know that abortions are wrong. My husband and I have provided for each other for over a year now and we have always done fine. We have our own apartment and live comfortably. I practically raised both of my little sisters for my parents due to them working constantly.. I have experience with babies, and I'm not an idiot. So why does everyone assume that since I got married and pregnant so young that my life will always be a disaster? I happen to love my life, and I can't wait for my baby girl to be born and for her to live happily with us. I can't wait to be mommy!

victoria.mommy

Asked by victoria.mommy at 10:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• goodwho said you were stupid? I think some young moms are smarter than some older ones. I'm sure you rock. Good for you for knowing what you want so early in life.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Good for you and congrats on your pregnancy. I had my first child when I was 20, I felt like I was too young, but that was just me, it definitely could've waited. It took us a little while to get on our feet, but now we are doing great! We had another child and our building our first house:) Don't worry what others say! The people who questioned me are find behind me now, still living paycheck to paycheck.
    Good luck with everything!!
    Anonymous

• Being a young mother has its stereotypes and stupid people believe all young mothers are the same. I personally don't believe just because you are young your going to be a bad parent.
    Dylansmom32509

Answer by Dylansmom32509 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• oops ^^^^are instead of our
    Anonymous

• Congrats! Glad 2 see u have ur head on straight & u sound like u will be an awesome mom! :)
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 10:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• i had my first child when i was 19 and was not married then had my second when i was 21, i love my children and my life, i am married to their father, don't worry about what other people say or think as long as you are happy that is all that matters and that will be reflected to others. many people also have a hard time accepting that others might be better off then they are or happier than they are so they try to make you second quess yourself or make you feel bad about your decisions. keep your head high and enjoy your life
    momof4anglz

Answer by momof4anglz at 10:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• People will always have something rude to say, you just have to ignore them as long as you know who you are and that your happy with it and that's all that it matters, so just relax and enjoy your pregnancy cuz that baby girl will be here sooner then later :)

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• "With age comes wisdom" or so they say, and of course if you are young you obviously have no wisdom...whatever, it's crap. I was married at 18 had my first at nineteen (wasn't pregnant) and just celebrated my 19th wedding anniversary and we are about to have our 8th kid. I don't think I am smarter now, I might have some POV's that are different, but the core of who I am and my family values really haven't changed. The only big difference I feel know is that I have more patience now but less energy, which was the opposite with the older ones, but that did not make me a bad mom when I was younger.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I find this sad for you that people are saying this, but then again almost amusing (not in the mean way). I always say, "I know I'm getting older when I start to realize how stupid I really am". Honestly, you are not stupid, but do take the good advice that those who have come before you can give, and dump the bad. Basically, don't dismiss everything a person has to say just because of one thing. And realize that someday you will be able to look at them and laugh at how ridiculous they were when they thought you couldn't do this.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I don't think you're life will turn out one way or the other; that's up to each individual or couple to decide as they go...

But now I'm left wondering; lol did you have to get parental permission to marry at 17 or is that the age of consent in your state? Here you have to be at least 18 or 17 with parental consent of both parties...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jul. 17, 2009