Is it rude to ask family and friends to help chip in when throwing a bday party at a water park?

I want to have my DS 1st bday party at our local water park. The group rate is $13 (per adult) and $10 (per child)...I was thinking of asking the invited to chip in 5 bucks a person. Is this un-thought of or a great way to make a day at the water park more affordable for everyone? I know everyone has been saying how much they would like to go but are too tight on money. The normal admissions are $24(per adult) and $20(per child). I am torn because it would be a lot of fun for everyone but I don't want to be rude throwing a party and making the guests pay to come! I mean, we are going to be paying half for every body which will be like $200. I need your opinoins!!! Is it was rude or totally acceptable???

number1mom1804

Asked by number1mom1804 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Entertainment

• I think it would be rude for a birthday party, because they will be bringing a gift already. JMO, though.

Did you call the park and ask if you can get a group rate? Or did you check for some coupons online?
    Anonymous

• I personally wouldn't do it. I would give a party that I could afford to pay for instead. I understand what your thinking, but guests are already bringing a gift, and shouldn't really be asked to pay to go to a party.....especially if you are inviting several people from one family. When my kids were small, I couldn't have afforded to buy a gift and pay for my boys to go to the party...and then myself as well. My kids would have felt really bad, and I would have been embarrassed......of course this is just my opinion.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't pitch in. Have a nice get together at your home.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Though it would be CHEAPER for everyone and everyone would have a good time, I'm of the feeling that you are responsible for paying for it all. Throw a party that you can afford. The kids will have a great time even if it's a sprinkler and pinata in the backyard!
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Why do you want to have a party that you cannot comfortably afford. Invite everyone to your home for cake, and if you have any leftover money, put it in your child's college fund

Answer by rkoloms at 11:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• First, a waterpark isn't appropriate for a 1 year olds party and second, I would NEVER ask people to chip in for a birthday party. If you can't afford to pay for everyone, then you need to find something else to do. Like a party at your own house or a local park that is free. If I had to chip in to attend a party, I would NOT go.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I didn't start having my kids birthday Parties outside the house till they were 3 and then only because I LOVE not dealing with the set up and clean up!! One thing to keep in mind about outside parties. rain. I never plan outside parties because of this, very iffy! If you just don't want to have it at home (too small, too messy ;) why not look into McDonald's (my kids LOVED it and they provide a cake) or one of those places filled with jumping things. I have to say I agree with PP a water park is a little out of the range of a one yr old and I wouldn't be able to ask people to contribute to paying for the party. Good Luck!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:31 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• just a suggestion but why not use that money and go to the store and purchase slip n slides,kiddy pools,ect.
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 2:16 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I think it's rude and if I were invited to such a party, I would be pretty tempted to not come at all, whether I had the money or not. Unless it was a very close friend or family member, I probably wouldn't go. I also agree with those that said that a water park isn't appropriate for a 1 year old's birthday. The person that suggested getting a slip and slide, kiddy pool, etc, has a good idea. Maybe one of those fun kid sprinkler things.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Do you get the magazine Family Fun (I think that's what it was, lol)?? This issue had various ideas for making a water park in your backyard -- stuff like waterslides, pvc pipe water play stuff... things that the toddlers could do and have fun doing! I would suggest doing something like that. You'll spend way less than $200, everyone will have a blast, and you'll have stuff to play with the rest of the summer.

For the original question though, I do think it would be rude to ask anyone to pitch in for your child's party!
    ddmac314

Answer by ddmac314 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2009