Would a psychologist call CPS for this?

I have panic disorder and I have 4 children under 5. I've been having a lot of panic attacks this week and I met with a new therapist today. She asked how I cope with the anxiety and I said sometimes if I leave the room or go outside, it makes some of the anxiety go away and I can go back to what I'm doing. She was concerned I left the children alone and I said I might leave the room they're in for a minute or 2 but I don't go outside unless my boyfriend is home. She asked if the kids were overwhelming to me and I told her no, I love them and don't know what I'd do without them. I started telling her all I do at home with them and she let up a bit. But I'm home now and worried cause that's what I do, I panic about everything. I have nothing to hide from CPS but the whole idea of someone thinking I'm not good to my children makes me want to cry and not stop. Do you think the therapist would call CPS for this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• You need to calm down hun...take some deep breathes and drink a glass of COLD ice water...it will help. Try and think of it this way...if she does or doesn't call CPS you're getting all worked up won't change that. But if she DOES call and you're a wreck then you might have problems. If you are a good mother and your children are safe, clean and well fed you have nothing to worry about. It sounds to me like you are a good mother, just a bit overwhelmed at times. You have great coping mechanisms for keeping yourself in check...now you just need to work on calming yourself...PM me if you need to talk.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 11:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I step outside all the time with the kids alone in the house. I don't drive away or leave, I step out front. I have 4 children too, but not as young as yours. Even when I had 3 under 5, I would still step outside to smoke. As long as they could reach me if needed it wasn't an issue. I just don't understand why she would take issue with that. Now don't take offense, but is there a chance that you THOUGHT she was questioning that because somewhere YOU feel you shouldn't do that? I can't think of anyone faulting you for stepping out for a minute or two. If she is, then she needs therapy.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I agree with Petie! I don't have any type of panic disorder, but I still have to step out and take a breather at least once a day! Kids are hectic! No one is going to be sane 100% without taking a moment to gather yourself and your kids are better off with a refreshed mom!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• The only thing that made me feel uncomfortable about the therapist was she's really young. I find working with younger therapists that they're inexperienced and may feel they have to report everything. I only went to her cause a social worker at the Boys and Girls Club thought it would be good if I talked to someone to get medication. My sister has panic disorder too and she went to have her baby and told the social worker she was afraid of everything including the baby and CPS was called on her. They closed the case 6 months later but they gave her such a hard time. I know the situations are different but I'm always nervous since it happened to her.
    Anonymous

• If you are that uncomfortable with this therapist, then you need to find someone else. You have to feel safe with whoever (whomever, grr. I can never remember which one it is) you choose to do therapy with. That is the MOST important part of therapy.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I feel if I admit something's wrong with me, it could be seen as a weakness. I didn't bring my kids with me, my boyfriend was home with them. I know if she saw them, she wouldn't be concerned cause my kids go to the doctor regularly, my DD takes dance classes at the Boys and Girls club and no one's ever said I've done anything wrong. I felt like she thought I was lying or something. I didn't feel comfortable working with her.
    Anonymous

• Then you definately need to find someone else to work with. It will NOT work if you do not trust this woman.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Actually you are doing the best thing you can in a situation like that, in my opinion. Removing yourself from the situation that is making you panic, and giving yourself a chance to calm down and relax is the best thing you can do for your kids. I was a HORRIBLE baby. My mom said I would cry all the time and nothing would stop me. So when she would get really upset and frustrated she would lay me in my crib and go into another room, or step outside (only if my dad was home) take a breather, and then come back and try again. That kept her from getting so worked up that she might have done something stupid in the heat of the moment. I wouldn't worry about it. And if CPS was called...they wouldn't do anything about it. They have more important things to worry about like ACTUAL abuse cases...not a mother leaving the room for a minute when she gets upset.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• When she immediately assumed my children were the problem, she put me on the defense. And after that I was telling her what I do everyday. I home school my 4 yr old DD, I play with them, the only time I put them in front of the tv is when I'm doing my homework. I told her what makes me panic is health issues. I'm always afraid I'll have a stroke and sometimes I go into the kitchen and just changing the scenery changes my thoughts. I leave them in the living room to cook for them too, and I go outside to take out the trash so why she thought whatever she thought to question me, I don't understand.
    Anonymous

• I step out to,but i put my four month old in his crib and my 20 month old in her playyard so i know they are safe.then i just close the screen door so i can see what the other ones are doing.It doesnt make you a bad mother.My mom put me in the bathtub(no water in it of course) and shut the door when she got aggravated.Im glad she did id rather be alone then deal with a upset mommy.
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 1:25 AM on Jul. 17, 2009