How to bring about reform?

I know we won't all ever agree on every detail of what kind of reform is needed, but I think most of us agree on certain points. I think we would all like to see unethical "professionals" reported and put out of practice.

Does anyone have any ideas how we can actually move beyond talking about ideas, and start making things happen? Is there already some authoritative body in place that receives reports?

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 11:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Adoption

• The AAC believes that all children have the same core of basic needs, and that these needs can be met most easily when children can grow up in the family into which they were born. Every effort should be made to preserve the integrity of this family. When birth families are unable to meet the ongoing needs of children born to them, however, we believe that adoption provides the best alternative—provided the adoptions are humane, honest, and rooted in the understanding that adoption does not erase a child's connections to the family into which they were born. We believe that those who have lived the adoption experience are in the best position to articulate the importance of these conditions and to bring about an adoption system that is based on them."
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• The most prominant adoption reform group is the American Adoption congress http://www.americanadoptioncongress.org/mission.php I love this in their 'belief' statement "

onethentwins

• I highly recommend AAC, plus another group for you to consider is Ethica. Both groups have all triad members and work to improve the status of adoption practices. Evan B. Donaldson is also doing some good work in many areas as well.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 1:42 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• equalityforadoptedchidren.org ....they work to pass legislation regarding adoption.

Anonymous

• Thank you for all of the resources. OTT - I liked what that statement had to say. One bmom here shared her horror story of being bullied out of her child by a man whose name is all over the internet when you Google it - Seymour something. She thought he may still be "working" at a Catholic Charities office somewhere. If she is reading this, I am Catholic and I would be willing to check into it and even report it to the Bishop of that Diocese. A complaint like that can be taken up the heirarchy even further. There are jerks in every profession, but I believe that if he is reported to the right people, they will want to disassociate the Church from that man.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2009