Poop with an epidural

Ok, so if you're numb from the waste down, with an epidural, what if you poop while you're in labor (not when actually delivering) and don't even know it? Has this happened to you, lol?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Oh God, OP, why did you even bring this up, haha? I'm terrified of this!!! I know what you're referring to too. I'm not worried about pooping when I'm actually pushing the baby out, I'm worried about it in the hours that I'm waiting to actually give birth. I'm going to have family in the room as well, and I really, really don't want everyone to hear farts and see me pooping, lol! This is seriously one of my biggest fears about the whole process. I was going to ask a similar question, but I've been trying to not even think about it. And one person said you'll have to use a bedpan? F that! I'm actually not worried about my husband seeing anything, it's about the other people who I decide to let in the room. I may not get an epidural either. I want to be able to feel everything so that I won't shit all over myself, lol. Ughhh...I don't wanna do this! :(
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• If it happens, then your doing it right. I had the same fear, the nurse told me that if it happens, she wont tell me lol
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 11:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It has not happened to me but the doctors and nurses deal with this kind of stuff everyday so I wouldn't even put that much thought or worry into it. You will be much too busy at that point in time to even worry about it! :)
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Haha I am nervous about that too! But yes it happens all the time I've heard. No big deal. They just wipe it away and continue on. My mom said she pooped a little with me and she was really embarssed and couldn't stop thinking about it when she had my sister a few years later. Doctors have seen MUCH worse so I wouldn't worry about it. I've also heard that you will poop while you are in labor so hopefully that will clean everything out before you start pushing!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Unfortunately I think it maybe did happen with me. I'm not sure though, and I'm not embarrassed by ti because I know that it happens. Lol.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 11:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I pooped all over my poor doctor, lmao.
    They see it every day, I didn't even know I had done it until my mom said something about it afterward.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I don't mean when you're pushing, that's one thing. I mean in the hours before the pushing when you're in labor, lol.
    Anonymous

• Well, they would notice and they would clean it up. I'm sure you would smell it if not anything else, lolol. But if you realize you have to go then you will go in a bed pan.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It didn't happen to me, but I got sick with diarrhea before I delivered so I was all cleaned out lol.
    My friend on the other hand wasn't so lucky she pooped once and they cleaned her up then shortly after they cleaned her up she pooped again. Whatever, though, nurses have seen it all;)
    Anonymous

• Omg, a bedpan! I can't do that. No epiural for me! My husband and mom will be in there! That's way too embarrassing.
    Anonymous