i need help quitting smoking during my pregnancy.

i just found out a week ago that i'm pregnant for the first time. i was a heavy smoker 1-1 1/2 pack a day habit. i have sucessfully cut down to one cigarette, and a puff off the hubbys here, and there, but i cannot seem to quit altogether. i not only get cranky when i haven't had a smoke, but i get really confused, and generally cannot function well. i need to quit, but i'm not sure how to get over that one cigarette. the guilt i feel when i do puff is tremendous, so please go easy on me. i would love to hear from other mothers who gave up the habit while pregnant, and how they did it. please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you can try the gum, my mom did the patch but when she was preggo with my baby sister she just quit and she smoked about as much or more than you so you can stop...go get some trident and when you have the urge to smoke just chew the hell out of that gum...

its theoral fixation and chewing gum or sucking a lollipop will help.

my mom quit and had a bunch of trident, and blow pops all over the house...LOL
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I gave it up while pregnant. First of all, Congratulations on cutting down from a pack and half to only one cigarette a day. That's is A huge change, and I'm sure it wasn't easy. For the first week I did the same thing...I would take little puffs when it would become unbearable and it would come out to about one a day. the guilt was so bad though, that shortly after I stopped completely. It truly does get easier and easier the longer you go. I just did it cold turkey. Talk to your doctor, though, because I only smoked about a half a pack a day to begin with, and I'm sure your body is going through terrible withdrawals. It can also be harmful to put too much stress on your body from quitting, so talk to you Dr. about the safest way to go about it. Just remember that you CAN do it, and that it does get easier. Good luck, babe!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Oh yes...and keep hard candy on hand. Pop a piece in your mouth, and it WILL help. Also, stay away from other smokers. It's about 1000 times harder to quit when you can smell the smoke from other people's cigarettes. Let your husband know that he CAN NOT smoke around you if he wants what is best for the baby. I got on my husband about it once really bad, and he actually quit too!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:20 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I gave up smoking too it was really hard but i had the help of my relatives and husband they took away my cigs and didnt let me have any
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 12:20 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Try to chew on straws and hard candy..and think about the baby and the health of your little one...not to be mean..im just saying maybe that will motivate you some.
    jennbear22

Answer by jennbear22 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i have still yet to quit completely, but i was smoking a pack more than you per day before i found out. definitely talk to your doctor, mine had me NOT stop cold turkey due to the stress from the withdrawls, & each doctor since (im on my third) is keeping me monitored so that i am now down to 1-3 every 24-36hrs at 25weeks pregnant. apparently that is where i am suppose to be to keep baby at a healthy growth rate & to keep my body from having a violent withdrawl. my biggest advice (other than talking to your doctor, whuch should be a must) is to not hang out around other smokers, it makes it the hardest to resist. good luck mama!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 1:31 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• *1-3 cigarettes a day (thought i'd make that clear lol) & i was smoking at least 2packs a day prior to finding out i was pregnant.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 1:36 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i am still a smoker. i am pregnant as well. 6 wks. i do not smoke as much as i used to though. i have cut back alot. i wont smoke the whole thing, and they are very little puffs. the thing that works for me is sticking the end of an ink pen in my mouth or somthing related to that. oh what might help is staying busy. i find myself sitting here at the computer at times and lightng one up out of habit, and not even smoking it. quitting smoking is very hard to do. just think positive and remember your doing it for you and your baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Jul. 17, 2009