17month old...couple questions

My daughter is 17 months old. We are trying to start potty training her. So far we have let her sit on it naked once and obviously nothing happened but I wanted her to see what she was supposed to do. Are there other things to help with this?
She also gets a bottle with water in it only when she is taking a nap or going to bed at night. Her doctor told us to try the whole water thing and well she still wants the bottle. What should we do? My MIL says that she will just decide she doesn't want it anymore. Should we just take it cold turkey now?

Bamzakarat

Asked by Bamzakarat at 12:12 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what about trading it out for a Nuby sippy cup? it has the really easy spouts and everything! But you don't want to keep them around for long or with anything but water in them.... after a while toddlers figure out how to squirt water across the table/room by pressing it on the table... But that is what I used for my daughter.
    Also, potty training... my dd is 20 mos and we started, idk what happened she won't go on the potty whatsoever anymore!! I even got that doll that pees and it got my dd to drink water instead! LMAO... I will be trying again soon and i heard if you put a sticker, cheerio or those tablets that change color in there they want to pee? IDK however.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• When i bottle broke all four of my kids i just took them out and let them pick a sippy cup.(It was usually the dora or spongebob cup of course)Then when we got home I threw all their bottles away so i couldnt give in.And it was bye bye to bottles.The potty training thing is different for each kid.I have to say it was easier to potty train my girls.I put the potty chair in my laundry room hallway(my youngest dd loves to play in the toilet lol)so its easy to get to.Take her to it every 1 1/2 to 2 hours to try an potty,And when she does go make it a very big deal.Tell her shes a big girl,your so proud of her,give her a high five,etc.Good luck sweety
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 12:51 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• If she only gets a bottle when going to bed, what is she drinking out of the rest of the day? If not a bottle, then I assume a cup of some sort. Why, if she is drinking out of a cup the rest of the day, is she still being given the bottle? Just stop giving it to her. She doesn't need it.

If she is showing the signs of being ready for potty training, just keep taking her. If she isn't showing signs, wait until she is or it's just going to take forever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jul. 17, 2009