I think this is soooo sad .... and realy not fair to the snakes

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2009-07-15-pythonhunt_N.htm?csp=34
The link has the whole story but what it read is that wild pythons are being caught and killed because some irrresponsiable pet owners failed to feed their snakes and the snakes went hunting and children suffered for it. i feel deeply for the families who have lost children I realy do but with such a low number of deaths since 1980 it baffles me why they are choosing to go after them for that reason. if they had said due to overpopulation we need to take action I might feel better but it seems like they are just doing it to pacify the puplic. sad for the snakes they are such pretty creatures

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida's governor is asking wildlife officials to begin trapping pythons right away

The Humane Society of the United States said at least 12 people have been killed in the U.S. by pet pythons since 1980, including five children.

knepppi

Asked by knepppi at 12:13 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Pets

• I don't feel bad. Those snakes are dangerous. The owners are stupid. I hate snakes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I love snakes but they have to go. They do not belong there and area danger to people pets and wildlife. So many exotics are dumped every year and its the local wildlife that suffers the most.
    ShellyOtterkin

Answer by ShellyOtterkin at 12:55 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I guess I strongly feel like if the pet owners fed the animals like they were supposed to these deaths would not be happening. if you starve a cat or dog guess what after a while you start to look like dinner it is a fact of life feed your pets and you won't become dinner! if there is an overpopulation problem than yes something needs to be done but why do they have to die?

knepppi

Answer by knepppi at 1:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Pythons are not indigenous to the North American continent, nor are they endangered in their own wild habitat. I don't think that having imported, child-killing snakes is such a good idea. Non-native species have sometimes been known to thoroughly destroy a segment of the natural eco-system. We don't need the pythons. (Other than that, I like pet snakes.)
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:11 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• this is y i think they should offer lisencing for people who own animals that can be potentially dangerouse to kids and domastic animals. i own ball pythons and i know a guy who owns a 5 ft gator we r responsiable pet owners but not all people r i got rid of my savanha monitor b/c he was getting too big to handel but i made sure he went to a guy who has exsperience with other monitors befor i let him go.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 1:27 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I am not a big fan of snakes but my nephew and his wife have a quite few and if they are taken care of very well, then I feel thats fine but it is always a few that should not even own pet any they get to big and then they dump them, there should be some sort of a law that you need to take a class or have a licence to own these kind of animals. It is not the snakes fault that they have crappy owners. I do feel for the families it is sad when something lie this happens
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I live in FL and this has become a really big deal for a couple of reasons. #1-people have released them into the wild and they are obviously not indigenous here and they are mating and multiplying in the wild #2- recently a 2 year old girl was killed by the family "pet" when it escaped from it's cage in the middle of the night. The dad walked into her room and found the snake wrapped around her. The only people (in FL) who are legally allowed to have pythons must register them and this family did not have their python registered and didn't make sure that their children would be safe either. It will become an even greater problem if these wild pythons find their way into people's homes or start killing off livestock. They don't belong here and they are dangerous.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2009