is it becuase i'm not 90?

why do people stare at me when i am parked in a handicap spot?
is it becuase i'm not 90 and i should have full use of my body?
then when they see me get out and into my wheelchair they give me this poor me look!
what are they looking at?
do you want to come over and ask what is " wrong " with me?
it is even worse with children staring and the parents just ignore their behaver, or when i'm wheeling around why do people go the other way just to ignore me or avoid me like i'm a monster?
and for goodness sakes when you see me trying to get something off the shelf would it kill you to lend a hand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Shopping

• I think people are moving out of ur way so u can get by, not avoiding u are treating u like a monster. I held a door open for a lady in a wheel chair she bit my head of and threw the door into my side and shouted I can do it myself. I was shocked, but I get it that some people are sensitive about being in a w/c so after that incident I only ever ask if they need help because god forbid they were reaching for a can of soup and I helped them get it and they got offended and threw that at me instead.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:59 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• people these days are just rude and inconsiderate

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:00 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Why do people ignore you when you're wheeling around?....Hmm do you wheel around looking for attention?? I walk by people who don't acknowledge me all the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I'm agreeing to an earlier post. I have offered assistance to a woman in a wheel chair to get something off a higher shelf and she nicely put it with several swear words just cause my legs don't work doesn't mean my hands don't either. Well excuse the heck out of me. That will be the last time I offer any assistance.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:32 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Why get mad at children for looking at you. Most of them probably don't understand what is wrong or why you are different from them. I walk by alot of people and never make eye contact with them because I don't want to and some people take you looking at them in the wrong way. And also people are probably giving you a funny look because they are curious as to why you are in a wheelchair. What boogles my mind is people who park in handicap spots and aren't handicap at all but have the license plate or hanging tag.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 12:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I agree with the previous answers -- any time I've tried to help someone in any of those situations they act like I'm an idiot for helping them, so why would I want to? It's not like I'm pitying anyone in a wheelchair by opening a door for them!! If someone with two perfectly capable legs is walking into a store behind me, I keep the door open for them too. It's common courtesy, yet those who are disabled sometimes take it as pity or a negative gesture, and then they also take it as a negative gesture when someone won't help them. Strange isn't it?

Oftentimes I'll watch as someone parks in a handicapped spot because we have a problem around here with people NOT being handicapped and taking those spots... they'll take their mom's handicap tag and stick it in their car just so they can have a front parking space. So, excuse me for looking to make sure that the person parking in the front spot deserves it!

ddmac314

Answer by ddmac314 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• it annoys the heck out of me when people use the handicap spots just to " wait " on their friend so they can just run in and not look for a parking spot.
    Anonymous

• i hate when people think the big blue x spots next to the handicap parking is actually a spot which it is not, it is extra space for people who use medical equipment. i see alot of people park there.
    Anonymous

• wow, chill - maybe they are just looking at your car
    Anonymous

• They stare at you when you get out of a car and into a wheel chair because they're trying to figure out how you drive without full use of your legs. Then they're looking at your car to see if they can spot any modifications.

If your plans include continuing to be in a wheelchair, you should probably get used to people staring at you. You don't have to like it, but for your own agitation levels you might want accept it.

And if you want help, ask for it. I'm not a mind reader and I have no freakin' clue what you want off the shelf, if you can reach it or if you want help. Just ASK. Your disability is not my fault and you are not my responsibility. I'm happy to help, but you'd have to let me know that you need it rather than making me guess.

When I saw you get out of your car I might not have wondered what was wrong with you, but I sure am wondering what's wrong with you after reading your question.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:55 AM on Jul. 18, 2009