Help! I need to get books on sleeping in the crib

Does anyone have any suggestions on books to help my DH and I get my 18mos old to sleep in her crib. I don't want to let her cry so I'm interested in some slow transitions.

I'm 14 weeks prego so I would like to do this before the baby's born so that DD sleep is not disturbed with new baby's crying at night.

Help!!

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• So amazing that a mom can specifically say no crying and yet half the answers are about how it never hurt anyone and that's all that will wok. Also, there's more room in our bed than a cramped crib. If you've never transitioned a child from your bed to another bed, you really don't have any clue how to do it.

Anyway, we skipped cribs and toddler beds. My daughter was about the same age as yours when we made the switch. We bought a double bed and put it on the floor. Daddy slept with her a few nights, then stayed while she fell asleep, then for a few minutes. Now, at 2, after stories, she climbs in and goes to sleep. She still calls it her "new bed". No crying necessary, and we all sleep better.

For books, I like the no cry sleep solution, for some parts. Really, we just established a routine, showed her her bed was cool, not a place she was abandoned to, and gave her some time.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:07 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• 07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:28 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I had to give it up and let mine cry. It took all of, oh, say TWO nights before she got the idea. The first night I cried myself; she was asleep in 20 minutes. The 2nd night it was 10. By the third night it was more like 2. Now she just lays down.
    Of course, we still have our rough nights, but they are rare and it has been worth it. We all sleep better at night now.
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 1:50 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i would agree with a little crying never hurt my boys are 20 mo and i tell them go to bed water bottle in hand and they go to ther beds and i lift them in tuck em and turn on a short show for em, and walla asleep no fuss... keep her on a busy routine feed her well before bed enjoy queit time together and into bed... i would imagine it can't be to comfortable for anyone to be all cramped together...
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 2:11 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Why does everyone these days have to have a website or book to do anything with their kid? No wonder things are the way they are....no one will use their own common sense and instinct.

If she hasn't slept in a crib so far (18 months) then why try to put her in one now? Put her in a regular bed. By the time you get her sleeping in the crib, she'll start climbing out and you'll have to take her out anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• What about going to a big girl bed instead of a crib. There's going to be a transition if she's used to sleeping with you, but you can try using a similiar type of bed (ie maybe a twin bed rather than a toddler bed) and sleep with her in it for a few days. Maybe sleep all night with her the first week, then leave after she falls asleep the second week. If she wakes up in the middle of the night, lay down with her again and leave when she falls asleep(repeat as necessary). Do this for a week or two. Then progress to just rubbing her back but not laying with her until she falls asleep and gradually do less and less. It might work, or it might not. Just an idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Wow ANON # ^ - Congrats on having ALL The answers - I didn't get the Mommy Instincts naturally like a lot of women get. I HAVE to read and learn about boys and my son constantly !! Why even bother answering questions. I got on this site for HELP from other mothers - not bashing - just like I am sure this Poster needs - HELP - not "geez you suck because you don't know exactly what to do"
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:05 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• We had to do the cry it out method it took 2-3 nights then we would just put him in his crib and he went on his own. He didnt sleep in his crib for about the first 6 months, he slept on me and we slept on the couch, he would wake everytime i put him down. Also now that he is older we tell him he can come sleep im mommy and daddy's bed when he wakes up in the morning. he wakes around 6-6:30 then comes to our bed and sleeps until 8-8:30! its nice to cuddle in the morning!
    peysmom1

Answer by peysmom1 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 17, 2009