If you send apples to school for your child's lunch, how do you keep them from turning brown so they'll eat them?

I'd like to send some w/ my daughter, but she won't eat them if they turn brown - anyone have any suggestions for keeping them fresh?

swrockhead

Asked by swrockhead at 7:54 AM on Aug. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you have to cut it up for her? She won't eat it whole? That would be my first suggestion. Otherwise, if you put some lemon juice in a bowl or a pan, and then dip the apple in the juice, that'll keep it from turning brown. I've done that before, and it works for at least 5.5-6 hrs, not sure beyond that.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:13 AM on Aug. 20, 2008

• Let her bring a small cooler pack with some Ice packs in it, and wrap the apple in plastic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Aug. 20, 2008

• I used to babysit this baby and the mom used to precut apples for him. There was this stuff that was made for that reason. it had no flavor, it was all natural, and it had no color. It came in a little package like nutmeg does so you can just sprinkle it on the fruit. I'll check into it for you k... B/c wraping it it still turns brown.
    Peacefully

Answer by Peacefully at 8:39 AM on Aug. 20, 2008

• I always added a little bit of cinnamon to the apple slices, The kids see the cinnamon being added and I would tell them they are going to look a little bit brown because of the cinnamon. :)

My kids ate them up like it was nothing, and the cinnamon added to the flavor. My DS one time told me it was like eating apple pie! LOL
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:31 AM on Aug. 20, 2008

• dip them in a little water with Lemon juice it will keep them from turning brown. Or walmart sells pre sliced apples with dipping sauce
    pebbles86

Answer by pebbles86 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 20, 2008

• How about just packing applesauce! I always have this problem with my son. So I pack bananas, cut grapes, cut peaches or plums and save the apples for when we are home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Aug. 20, 2008

• Lemon juice keeps apples from turning brown. That's what we used when I worked in food service (we used apples as garnishes and soaked them in lemon juice to keep them from going brown.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:10 AM on Aug. 20, 2008

• If it turns brown tell her it's honey. I know it sounds stupid but thats what my mom always used to tell me :)
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 11:44 AM on Aug. 20, 2008

• I don't cut them
    Bentyswife

Answer by Bentyswife at 1:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2008

• I've heard orange juice works too.
    sbkartak

Answer by sbkartak at 1:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2008