What type of doctor would I see for adult ADD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Health

• I would start with you regular DR and have them refer you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• You should see a Psychiatrist. Even if you've been previously diagnosed, only a Psychiatrist can assess your situtaion right now and help you come up with a treatment plan. And when I say help you, I mean just that, there are different ways of treating ADD and they depend on the severity and your ability to comply. (i.e. if your not a fan of meds you may not take them at all or take them irregularly, a good Dr. will give you a back up strategy &/or help you deal with your feelings about the use/or need of medication). Don't settle for a Doc that hands you a script and sends you on your way. Leave being on the same page but, at the same time be open to new ideas. Good Luck.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:21 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I'd definitely say a psych as well. Just know that it could take trying several different meds before you find the one thats right for you but just hang in there, you will find the one and the right dosage that is right for you. Good luck!
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 2:04 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Someone that you feel confident will help you manage both the condition and the medication. I'd start with my regular MD and work your way from there.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 5:10 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• there is great information here: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education

Be sure to see a therapist who will help you learn to use your add/adhd as an advantage in your life, not just teach you coping skills.

You can find referrals here: www.add.org

Answer by rkoloms at 8:05 AM on Jul. 17, 2009