Elderly Advice and Acceptance..

I'm not trying to hurt anyones feelings. I just really want to know so that I can get along better with my Mother-in-law. Why does it seem that elderly people refuse to accept the new ways of raising a child? For insance, I did not want my baby to have teething toys because i was told that it toughens the gums and makes it harder for the teeth to come out. She laughed at me and told me she did it with her kids, and that when she is babysitting my child she'll do it her way. This is not the only thing she has done this with either. Am I being the a** by not taking her advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My kids are 17 and 14 and my parents still do this - when it comes up I tell them thanks for the advice but they are my girls and I will raise them my way - I also tell them they did a good job with me so they have to trust I will do a good job with my kids - at one point I would not let my kids around them without me or their father - it was hard but they saw that I was serious. Also try having your husband speak to his mom so you present a united front.
    TabithaK.

Answer by TabithaK. at 3:46 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Your not being an a**. This has been happening generation after generation one think they know better then the other.We are probably going to be the same way with our kids when we have grandchildren.
    Dylansmom32509

Answer by Dylansmom32509 at 1:37 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Ya it is hard to change a persons beliefs but just be understanding and ask her nicely. "Please dont give him n e chew toys, I know it is the way u used to do it but I prefer he goes without them." Give her an alternative like can u give him his tylenol instead?
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 1:51 AM on Jul. 17, 2009