How young is too young for makeup?

My 12 year old daughter, (13 in October) has started wearing makeup. Nothing major, just some eye shadow and lip gloss. I remember when I was her age makeup was the big thing and I wore some, but do you think she is really too young for it? She wants to wear eye liner, but I put my foot down on that, I think it makes the girls look way older than they are. How old was your daughter when you let her wear makeup for the first time?
How old were you when you wore it for the first time?

Asked by lucy7 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• At 12...almost 13...girls are wanting to start looking prettier and wanting to start using make-up because it makes them feel older. I think a minimum amount of make-up for a 12 year old is fine. A little eye shadow and some lip gloss, but any more than that is too much for someone that age. I've seen girls younger with so much make-up on that they don't even look pretty...they look ridiculous. Less make-up is prettier on a young girl than a whole glob of make-up. And...if you have a natural beauty, like your daughter, and I know because I've met her, lol, then you want to enhance that...don't cover it with a lot of stuff.

Answer by mybritt at 4:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My daughter is almost 4 and she plays with it around the house.But I think it is ok as long as she keeps it natural and knows your boundries like nothing dark or anything thats going to make her look like a Working Girl If you get my drift.A little goese a long way and by the way I was 12 or 13 when I started wearing makeup.Hope this helps.

Answer by Mustang_Momma at 3:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I want to say I started in junior high because all the other girls were doing it too~ yep I was a follower! Sooo I'd be a hypocrite if I said yes she was too young, lol. I do think though that minimal is better. Ha ha you've got a teenage girl on your hands! =P

Answer by momma_of_kyky at 3:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I was 13 when my mom would let me wear eyeshadow and lipgloss. Any more than that & my face would break out. I think eyeliner looks trashy on young girls, but maybe you could let her wear a little only on special occasions... and get her like purple or bronze so it's not DARK. Another thing... get her an eyelash curler. That way she feels like she's putting on more makeup, but she's not.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• i started wearing makeup and dying my hair when i was 12...but my hair was always a natural color...i wore foundation, but the really light formulas, because i had very bad skin and it helped my complextion look much better without making it look fake...i also wore dark brown mascara and dark brown eyeliner...with my dark complexion and when applied lightly, it didnt really look like makeup...i also always wore gloss, never lipstick and i wasnt allowed to wear other words my makeup always had to look natural, just enhanced

Answer by LoriaAnn at 5:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I think 12-13 is took young for eye shadow, and eye liner. I would only agree with Mascara and lip gloss, maybe even tinted lipgloss, especially for special occasions, when she turns 15 she can step it up, otherwise no.

Answer by Ifiwereabook at 8:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I wouldn't let her wear eyeliner out of the house until 14. I wouldn't let her wear it to school until 15 or 16. That's just my opinion. For now, lip gloss and eye shadow is plenty for her.

Answer by 6IrishKiddos at 2:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I have a fifteen year old who does not wear make-up. She will be allowed at sixteen. I don't feel it necessary for her to "look older". She doesn't argue about it-her dermatologist told her the longer she waits, the better her skin will be. She loves her acne free face! She practices with it all the time, but not outside the house.

Answer by nova8 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I don't particularly like my 12 yr old sd wearing makeup. But mostly it's because she doesn't clean her face daily, and I worry about acne. Also, she simply hasn't learned to put it on nicely yet, and she won't listen to me yet. So we will work on it when she's ready to figure out better ways to put it on.

Answer by mama_kanga at 7:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My daugter was around 11 when she started wearing make up. Some eye shadow,lip gloss, mascara. and some time i would let her wear foundation to "cover" zits. It was really no big deal. Just let her know that the way to look your best is natural. I wouldnt let my daughter wear eyeliner until she was about 13.Right around the time she started middle school. Just let her know whats too much!