Obama tells AA to stop making excuses?

Obama has tough-love message for African-Americans

Education is the path to a better future, said Obama.

"Our kids can't all aspire to be the next LeBron or Lil Wayne. I want them aspiring to be scientists and engineers, doctors and teachers, not just ballers and rappers. I want them aspiring to be a Supreme Court justice. I want them aspiring to be president of the United States," he said.

And what are your thoughts on this? I think if a white person had said this to them, all heck would have broke loose.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• spider I tell ya, people like you can spin anyting postive into something negative.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I think he is missing his mark - he is (unfortunately) the president of the United States - this advice should be aimed at all of America's youth to prepare us for the future not just the African Americans!!!!
    TabithaK.

Answer by TabithaK. at 4:37 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Agree with anon...whered this come from...because by reading it..it says OUR kids...as in AMERICAN kids..not OUR kids...ALL BLACK KIDS......hmmmmmm
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:51 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I think he's right! Ther shouldn;t be ANY excuses for why a child from even the harshest environments cannot succeed in life. With all of the opportunities this country has to offer--ESPECIALLY if you are low income, or are considered "at risk" from a variety of social community outreach programs, higher education scholarships, affirmative action quotas tied into state and federal funding, etc all designed to help minorities succeed.

Life is what you make of it.

I thought that's why so many people wanted to be a part of "history?!" You know..."if he can do it, so can't I/we?!" Or was that just hype? So hard to tell these days!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:33 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I think it is wonderful. Finally someone said it and said it loudly. Weather you like the man or not he has opened doors and maybe even given some inspiration to young AAs in America.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:34 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I don't know what to feel about it, I am not AA. I think the message should apply to everyone though.

I think his message would resonate better if he didn't consistently talk about how he 'inherited' this mess. The fact is, politicians practically whore themselves out for your votes. If he wasn't willing to take on the job, then he shouldn't have run for the office. I find the whole complaining about inheriting things is BS and a cop out. It makes me lose what little respect I have for the office he holds. When you take a job, you do your work and don't bitch about the last guy, because he is no longer there. IMO, he has used Bush as an excuse way longer than he should have an now he just sounds like a whiner.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:48 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Bill Cosby said this-and more-years ago, and was ostracized by black Americans. They turned on him faster than you can say "Uncle Tom" (which the did). Some people just can't handle the truth, ahem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Wow! I think this is the first time I have agree with our current Prez! We have PELL grants, childcare assistance while working or going to school full-time, and financial assistance for living expenses that can make it possible to be a FT student without working FT. I could also mention that everyone (not just any one group) can benefit by making sure people having kids are committed, married couples. I know that is not politically correct, but it is a very big issue in our society.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jul. 18, 2009

• I agree wholeheartedly with our President's statement. However I agree that it should apply to all Americans, not just blacks.

Actually, all black people did not turn on Bill Cosby when he made his comments. Most of us actually agreed with him- I believe the complaints and "Uncle Tom" comments came from the group of people he was referring to.

I think the difference is the way the message was delivered- Bill Cosby was very scolding and nasty when delivering his (true) message. I think there's a better way of getting your point across without denigrating the audience you want to reach.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 9:35 AM on Jul. 18, 2009