Obama tells AA to stop making excuses?

Obama tells AA to stop making excuses?
Obama has tough-love message for African-Americans

Education is the path to a better future, said Obama.

"Our kids can't all aspire to be the next LeBron or Lil Wayne. I want them aspiring to be scientists and engineers, doctors and teachers, not just ballers and rappers. I want them aspiring to be a Supreme Court justice. I want them aspiring to be president of the United States," he said.

And what are your thoughts on this? I think if a white person had said this to them, all heck would have broke loose.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think he is missing his mark - he is (unfortunately) the president of the United States - this advice should be aimed at all of America's youth to prepare us for the future not just the African Americans!!!!
    TabithaK.

Answer by TabithaK. at 4:30 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I love the fact that he told them the part about ballers and rappers. I tell my son this every week. Use your head for more then a hat rack!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:35 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I agree with TabithaK that he should be speaking to the whole of the US youth and not just the African American population. Too much of today's youth is a "give me, screw the rules" mentality. As president he shouldn't be seeking out the racial divide on either side of the issue.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 4:58 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Wellllll.......He is our President and he is trying to reach out to youth. I just say more power to him and let the chips fall where they may. OUR teens ( I have no teen yet) but they are almost all talking that way so, reluctantly I want to say he is trying to talk to them and I voted for him? lol.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 5:06 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• LOL when i opened this was was thinking 'alcoholics anonymous' for some reason and i was prepared to say 'they cant help it, they need help!'

wonder where my mind is tonight :p
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Speaking out to a minority group that commonly only goes into entertainment if they're going to be anything major. I think its admirable. There aren't many AA in high political offices or other careers with a lot of power.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I like it....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 5:52 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• This might be the only thing we agree on (though I do think this message can apply to all people, not just African Americans).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Jul. 17, 2009