What are some tricks to potty training? I NEED HELP!!!!!!

My daughter has pooped and went pee pee in the potty (lots of times!) but I think that she just likes being pampered a little too much! anyone have any tips? I have tried prizes and praise and bribes... and sometimes she will go in the potty but sometimes she will hold it until she gets the diaper on. I'll take all the Ideas I can get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dina86

Asked by Dina86 at 4:59 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First off it would be good to know how old she is. Something my cousin did was telling her son if he wanted to wear big kid undies instead of diapers like a baby he would have to learn to use the potty and let her know when he needed to potty. You could let her pick out some big girl panties and tell her if she wants to wear them she has to learn go in the potty not a diaper or her undies.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 5:07 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My dd is the same way! she is 20 mos now and won't even sit on the potty anymore!!! She always tells me when she has to go or when and where she went on the floor.... but she WILL NOT SIT ON THE POT!!!! We tried the undies, the pullups, the treats, stickers.... even a bribe with the park!!! When I put the underwear on my dd she will SERIOUSLY try to block it with her fingers until she can't hold it anymore!!! And she will hold it for 2 hours. If I put her on the potty she flips out! Idk what to do so i just put her back in diapers!!!
    I heard putting a cheerio or a sticker or something that floats helps, but it won't work with my child. GL and I'm sure she will get it soon! how old is she?
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:13 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Take her shopping and let her pick out which big girl panties she wants. Then tell her she can only wear her new big girl panties if she goes to the big potty. Maybe picking out her own panties will make her more inclined to tell you when she has to go.

Otherwise, I don't really have advice. Some kids are stubborn and they'll just go into potty training full force when they're ready. Good luck!
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 5:30 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• if she's holding it for the diaper, don't give her a diaper :) My daughter is hit or miss right now. One day she pee peed on the floor in her panties right next to her potty, then an hour or 2 later she pulled them down, sat down and went w/o any help! The next day, she wanted nothing to do with it, just wanted her diapers. I give in on those days and give her pull ups, but watch her like a hawk (she loves dora, though so she'll ask for the pulls ups rather thna panites and I haven't seen any dora panties, only princess or elmo so far) and put her on the potty at the first sign and she'll protest and jump up. I don't want to make it into a punishment though, so I figure no reason to push it too hard, just trying to stay reasonable consistant. I really should just go all panites but it's hard to go out and about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Everytime I went to the bathroom I took my child in with me sat them on their potty as I sat on mine. Also when we were home I let him run around naked cause he would then he would go ewww I go pee and dance then I would just run him in a put him on his potty then I moved the seat to the big potty with a step stool and he was so proud of himself and happy we did the pee pee in the potty dance...lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• We had sorta the same problem with dd--she would go on the potty, if i put her on it, but wasn't telling me when she had to go--she was more than happy to go in her pullup, and then go on. --So last week i put her in underwear, no more pullups-- First day she had 4 accidents, next day 1...that was with me putting her on the potty every hour, that week she averaged an accident a day when she was home with me--This week she started holding it--so i just told her that if she had to go, to take her pants off and go potty--And to my pleasant surprise, she did! --She has been taking herself potty since monday, and has only had poopy accidents ( we have to work on that one)--So for us, it was just a matter of getting rid of the pullups during the day (we still use them at night)
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 10:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My youngest son was afraid of the big toilet so we got him a Baby Bjorn potty. He was able to straddle that potty and it made him feel more secure with it.
    bordprson

Answer by bordprson at 10:28 AM on Jul. 17, 2009