Why do so many Catholics become Atheists?

I know soo many people that say they are Atheists but also say they went to Catholic school/church when they were young. I find this odd. Does anyone else know someone that has done this?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 7:01 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes yet again my husband and his whole family. I can't speak for all but his family is full german and they say they switch because as they got older they found out it was their heritages original religion and that the more they researched the more it made and the better their understanding of life became.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:12 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Well, I'm not an atheist, but I'm a non-practicing Catholic these days. To keep family happy, my children have/will receive all of their sacraments (baptism, first communion, confirmation), and because there are some good moral and values to be learned.

I think because both my husband and I were raised very strict Catholic--hubby was an Altar Boy for several years (along with his brother), and had two maternal uncles that were Catholic Priests, that once our parents didn't "require" us to attend Church after our Confirmations (age 14), we kind of "strayed" from attending regularly, but never strayed from being good people.

See, IMO the Church basically says you cannot be a good Catholic unless you attend regularly and of course DONATE money (the real reason they want to see you), we on the other hand think it's better to practice what the Church taught us, and don't need to be "renewed" each week.

continued
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:15 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• And then all of the scandals of the molesting priests (I grew up in Boston in the 60's/70's when all of this was happening), and the liberal stance the Church has taken in recent years--most notably endorsing Obama (who has a very liberal approach to abortion, which is the complete opposite of the Church's beliefs).

It's hard to believe that what the Church taught us, when it doesn't really seem to believe it themselves!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I think what I find most interesting is that my husband does believe Jesus was perhaps involved with Mary Magdalene. Why did the Bible leave out so much of Jesus' life? Anyway, what IF there was more to the Holy Grail? Could that be the bloodline of Jesus? This is things my hubby has said.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 7:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Actually I agree with your dh in some ways I am not atheis but am nondenominational. I do believe jesus was involved with marry
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:55 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i am a recovering Catholic
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 8:45 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• LOL!! Boredmom44 that was funny!!
    Becky247

Answer by Becky247 at 9:08 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My husband and I both attended Catholic Schools K- college.
    Our children attended K-12th grade.
    We no longer attend/practice. Too much abuse, cover up and money mongering.
    I would not call myself an Atheist, but organized religion has left a bad taste in my mouth. I prefer to live by the Golden Rule and I believe I'm a decent human being. My kids and husband feel the same.
    My husband had a zealot (attended Mass everday) for a parent- preachy on the outside and wicked mean on the inside. Fwiw, this woman was raised in a Catholic orphanage. What a turn off.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:44 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• thanks Becky247 it was meant to be i am not knocking anyone who is Catholic or any other religion but my childhood experience was a congragation that was very non excepting and quite judgemental of other religions

boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Because the Catholic church is the biggest cult in the world and alot of people realize how brainwashed they've been when they're adults.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jul. 17, 2009