For those who have tried Adkins / low carb......

I have been watching my carbs for a week now and the scale hasn't moved. I can remember women at work doing this and weight dropping off of them. I work out 4-5 days a week including 30-45 min cardio and weights 3 days a week. I have been eating fattening foods! Yesturday I had:

Breakfast- 1 egg
lunch- salad with grilled chicken, FF cheese
Supper- Bacon (alot of it) and 2 eggs and low fat cheese cubes

And I drank several glasses of water! what am I doing wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Jul. 17, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• IN THIS DIET IN ORDER TO START LOOSING WEIGHT YOU NEED ONLY CONSUME 20 GRAMS OF CARBO A DAY, AND YOUR BODY SHOULD GO INTO KETOSIS WHICH IS THE STATE THE BODY GOES ON FOR FAT BURNING. FROM WHAT YOU TOLD ME YOU ARE EATING CORRECT, NOW ARE YOU TAKING ANY TYPE OF MEDICATION, EVEN BIRTH CONTROL SOMETIMES CAUSE THIS DIET TO FAIL.

Answer by older at 8:57 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Diets are temporary fixes. Unless you learn how to eat healthy for life, you will not be able to maintain a healthy weight and will stay on the gain/lose roller coaster. Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water every day. Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc.) every day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables every day, in at least 3 different colors. You will lose weight. You will maintain a healthy weight. You will get sick less often. You will be setting a wonderful example for your children. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big salad before meals. Feel free to contact me if you have questions or would like meal suggestions.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:47 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• If you do decided to stick with Atkins (where you will learn nothing about healthy eating or portion control), you must take a bunch of supplements (fiber, etc.) and get your blood pressure and cholesterol checked every three months

Answer by rkoloms at 9:51 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Ok, first I'd start by adding a LOT of fresh or steamed veggies. Add veggies like green peppers, onions & tomatoes to your omelet along with a sprinkling of cheese. The salad at lunch was ok, but you can add a TON more fresh veggies like sliced carrots, celery, tomatoes, green pepper chunks to the salad which will increase the fiber and nutritional content. For supper, stick to lean meats like chicken breast or cuts of lean beef. A respectable size serving of the meat, then add at LEAST 2 cups of steamed veggies (not peas, corn or squash) & a tossed salad. For snacks, stick to celery ribs with cream cheese, a hard boiled egg, 1/2 cup cottage cheese or a handful of nuts. When you cook, cook only with olive oil or canola oil, a spray is better than dumping the oil in the pan. Avoid high fat foods. You really get enough fat if you have a varied diet.
    Atkins diet changed a few years back, it's more like South Beach now.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Also, I lost nothing on my first week of the South Beach plan, but it started dropping off fast in the 2nd and 3rd weeks. Hang in there and stick to it!!!
    michiganmom116

• Rkoloms, your knowledge of diet is based on erroneous informaiton. You should do your reseach... read the actual scientific studies and results before condeming the low-carb lifestyle. ALL of the scientific studies EVER done actually refute your claims. The current beliefs regarding calorie restriction and carb ingestion were based on unproven hypotheses and were adopted primarily at the insistence of Ancel Keys, an egomaniac who never even treated people with weight issues and with a definite agenda to keep. (All of his funding was received from companies like Kraft, Proctor & Gamble, etc.... the primary manufacturers of high-carb foods.) Please do some research... at least read the book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" or something like it before preaching such flawed gospel.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Why are you eating fat-free or low-fat anything on Atkins? If your going to be consuming so little food, especially while being so active, you need to give your body the fuel it needs. Eat more! Eat whenever your hungry, and don't be afraid of the fat! The low-fat varieties actually work AGAINST you, not for you!

Please read the book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" or something like it so you understand the phsiological responses your body has to ALL foods. (Unfortunately the Atkins books do a poor job of actually explaining all of it.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I had a similar problem several years ago when I first tried Atkins on my own. I still believed in the whole low-fat, calorie restriction mantra touted in the media and tended to eat low-fat products and restrict my volume of food... and completely stagnated in my weight loss. Even though I felt better overall, I gave up the dietary in frustration and resorted back to my old habits of eating carbs (especially pasta).

This time around I'm doing it right. I've discovered that my body takes a little more effort to kickstart the weight loss than some other people I know. I've actually eliminated almost all carbs for the time being, and I certainly don't restrict fat or calories... and the weight is starting to peel off. My doctor is completely supportive of this practice as she is exceptionally well-versed in in the low-carb lifestyle having lost a tremendous amount of weight herself.
    Intrepid

Answer by Intrepid at 11:48 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Don't give up. Stop worrying about calorie restriction, low-fat, no-fat, etc. Saturated fat is NOT the enemy as we've all been led to believe... carbohydrates are, and especially refined carbs. If you're at all like me you've consumed a lot of carbs in your lifetime and your body may just take a bit longer to stabilize and begin funcitoning properly. You may have to be a bit more restrictive at the onset, and you may always have to restrict your carb intake a bit more than other people you know, but this IS a lifestyle change that prove enormously beneficial to both you bodyshape and especially your overall health.
    Intrepid

Answer by Intrepid at 11:51 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I honestly don't think you are eating enough....your body most likely is in starvation mode....meaning it's hanging on to the fat thinking it needs it to survive since you are no longer eating enough. Diets are diets.....you need to just eat a healthy balance of everything, yes carbs included (whole grains, fruits, vegetables) and make life long changes, temporary changes won't work.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2009